Google Advanced Protection prevents odrive sync

I recently enrolled in Google’s Advanced Protection programme, which requires additional authorisation from non-Google apps. This has prevented the odrive app from syncing between my G-Suite Drive account and my Mac, giving the error message “Error 400: policy_enforced
Advanced Protection prevented your Google Account from being signed in. This security feature stops most non-Google apps and services from accessing your data to keep your account protected.”
If you’re the app developer, make sure that these request details comply with Google policies.

The Google help pages and indeed an internet search does not suggest any solutions.
Has anyone here had a similar experience and can provide a solution?
Perhaps the odrive team has a workaround?

Hi @tapoensgen,
Sorry about this. I am not aware of any methods to override this unless you are in a Google Workspace Organization and an admin explicitly approves odrive, as per these instructions here.

For regular accounts I haven’t found a way for a user to create any exceptions to the blocking, unfortunately.

I know you already did your research, but for anyone else that encounters this:

This is an intentional limitation of Google’s “Advanced Protection” for 3rd party apps requesting access to Google Drive or Gmail. You can read about this here:

This link goes over the restrictions. Here is the relevant information from that page:

Advanced Protection stops most non-Google apps and services from accessing your Google Drive and Google data. That way, your data is better protected against harmful or unsecure access.
After you turn on Advanced Protection, you can allow these apps and services to access your Google data:

All Google apps and services
Apple Mail, Calendar, and Contacts apps on iOS
Mozilla Thunderbird
Desktop email clients that access Gmail directly

They used to have the following information on the advanced protection landing page (Advanced Protection Program), but it looks like they removed it. I’ll post it here since it it relevant :

To help protect you, Advanced Protection allows only Google apps and select third-party apps to access your emails and Drive files.

As a trade-off for this tightened security, the functionality of some of your apps may be affected. Most third-party apps that require access to your Gmail or Drive data, such as travel tracking apps, will no longer have permission. And you will only be able to use Chrome and Firefox to access your signed-in Google services like Gmail or Photos.

I think the bottom line, at this time anyway, is that you would need to disable “Advanced Protection” to use odrive again.

Hi Tony

Thank you very much, that was really helpful. We have a G-Suite account so I could enable API access. Oddly, there are two odrive apps listed (Oxygen drive | odrive and odrive), so I authorised both. Odrive appears to be synching as expected now.

Thanks again, best regards
Tobias

1 Like