"Get Started" button does nothing. No way to sign in!

I’ve just done a brand new (clean) install of macOS Monterey on my iMac and am trying to install odrive. So far I’ve uninstalled and re-installed a few times, and whenever it gets to the “Welcome to odrive!” screen, clicking “Get Started” does nothing but close the window. The menu bar icon says “odrive is not activated” and clicking “Sign in” brings up the ineffective “Welcome to odrive!” screen again.

I’ve tried deleting the odrive folder, removing everything from .odrive and manually giving the odrive app full disk access and every permission I can, but nothing helps. It’s version 7193 if that helps.

I got one error in the .odrive/logs/error.log file that says “ERROR Login Controller - Unable to process - odriveSystemException(code o_OTHER_ERROR - Service Unavailable)” which isn’t very helpful and reinstalling/restarting hasn’t written anything else to this log. main.log just says “INFO Starting odrive. Version 7193” for every restart and has the error above after the second restart.

Any ideas?

Hi @simon2,
Sorry to hear you are running into this. We haven’t had this reported by anyone else yet.

A web browser window is supposed to open up when you click on the “Get started” button.

Can you open up a terminal window, copy and paste this command in, and hit enter?
echo 'open location "http://www.odrive.com"' | osascript

Does that open up a web browser? This is essentially what our app is trying to do.

Are you on Monterey 12.0.1?

The result was osascript: can't open default scripting component - from searching online and trying a few more tests it looked like AppleScript wasn’t working at all.

I wasn’t able to find any solutions other than the suggestion to reinstall Monterey (v12.0.1) yet again to see if that would correct it. After a (fairly painless) reinstallation using Recovery I ended up with the same result, but with an additional error message suggesting that osascript was trying (and failing) to load an audio plugin (no idea why). Deleting this faulty plugin instantly restored osascript function and now the odrive link works properly (and I’ve been able to sign in).

Bit of a weird one but thanks for the help; I might not ever have found the solution without trying to run osascript manually!

1 Like

Great! Thanks for the follow-up and including all of these details @simon2 .

It is definitely a weird one, but I’m glad you were able to find a solution and hopefully this post can help any other folks that may run into the same thing.