File no longer available error

trying a simple sync of dropbox and odrive and keep getting this error, and i dont see any reason why or docs to fix!?

Hi @jon,
This is a “restricted content” error from Dropbox. According to their documentation:

restricted_content - The file cannot be transferred because the content is restricted. For example, sometimes there are legal restrictions due to copyright claims.

If you click “Send diagnostics” in the odrive tray menu I can take a closer look. Additionally, when you do this a file named “current_odrive_status.txt” will be created in the root of the odrive folder. That file will also have more granular information and you may be able to quickly see which files are causing this error. Can you attach that file here, as well?

sure, thanks

current_odrive_status.txt (8.0 KB)

2nd question, if i use dropbox 2 factor authn, will this cause issues with odrive?

Hi @jon,
It looks like the files in TMi Team Folder/-TMi marketing/Fonts/font-tmi/Montserrat fonts are being flagged by Dropbox as restricted, for some reason.

When odrive tries to download these files Dropbox returns this “restricted_content” error.

No. When you link Dropbox you will need to go through the 2-factor process, unless you are already logged-in and have a session on Dropbox in your browser. In either case, once linked you will be all set.

Thanks, great fast support! shame the error message is not better…

I’ve registered it as an error message to improve in the next release so that it is clear what is happening.

I am still getting the error having deleted that folder. any other folders showing as well?

Hi @jon,
If you send the diagnostic again and then take a look at the “Recent Errors:” section of the “current_odrive_status.txt” file, you can see which files are throwing errors. If you want to attach it here I can take a look, as well.

As odrive progresses through your structure trying to download, it may hit other files that are flagged, as you can see. Once it hits several of these exception it will stop the bulk download. Hopefully you won’t hit too many more.

current_odrive_status.txt (30.9 KB)

so it seems to throw errors on all sorts of stuff, why does it not skip these and move on vs giving an error and stopping sync?

what can be done to stop this vs me have to go through al my files? i cant delete alot of this type of thing, its needed as part of a backup!!

Hi @jon,
The sync engine doesn’t know about all of the nuances of each integrations errors, so when it sees lots of error pop it stops syncing instead of blindly pushing forward.

If you want to take a more aggressive approach and push forward, you can use an advanced method with our CLI to force the sync, despite the number of errors encountered. Take a look at this post (look at the MacOS section for the 2 steps) for more details.

In your case, the command would look something like this to force the download of everything in the -TMi marketing folder:
exec 6>&1;num_procs=3;output="go"; while [ "$output" ]; do output=$(find "/Volumes/20 TB TMI/odrive/Dropbox (TMi)/TMi Team Folder/-TMi marketing" -name "*.cloud*" -print0 | xargs -0 -n 1 -P $num_procs python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py sync | tee /dev/fd/6); done

Are you trying to make a local backup of your cloud storage? If you get a chance, can you provide some details on your odrive use case(s)? We are always interested to know how our users are using the software and what we can do to make it better.

I get this:
Unable to sync cufon-yui.js.cloud. This file is no longer available.

I am making a sync between all folders such as drive, dropbox etc and the cloud - so all files are both local and syncd to clouds. Instead of using db I am using odrive to do that sync, db does NOT fail on sync for your errors??

I suggest you do NOT stop the sync, thats the wrong way around imo and also its odd that DB was fine syncing despite these errors it DID download them all fine??

Hi @jon,
It is expected that you will still get the same error, since Dropbox is refusing the send the file. However, the CLI method should continue to try to sync other files/folders, despite encountering errors. Are you saying that it is not continuing to sync other items?

To be clear, these are not odrive errors, they are errors directly from Dropbox. You would need to contact Dropbox about these errors and why they are returning them.

You can see similar occurrences reported in their forum, such as: "path/restricted_content/" when download some type... - Dropbox Community

and Solved: "restricted content" errors, except not copyright... - Dropbox Community

OK, see my comments on the way you guys deal with errors!

I am going to fix this one by archiving the folder and retrying, then the fonts will not be files to sync etc

Hope that will stop the issue but as i say its crazy to stop the sync in a random place so i have no idea how much or has not sync’d and therefore if i can trust odrive as a backup vs using db native app!!

its very bad for your brand IMO

Hi @jon,
I think we have only seen this particular error one other time from a user and it was only for one file, so your case is definitely unusual.

I have asked the product team to look into handling this particular Dropbox error differently (similar to how we handle errors with illegal characters), where we can continue with the sync and put those “restricted_content” files into the “not allowed” list. We will still be unable to download these types of files that Dropbox is considering copyrighted or protected material, but it can at least continue to soldier on and sync the files that Dropbox is allowing.

agreed, any ref to fonts seems to be the issue