Extremely slow backup Linux CLI

Dear,
I am backing up a shared folder on the network to Amazon Drive using the CLI on Linux.
However, copying occurs extremely slowly.
We have approximately 1TB of data to upload.
To perform this backup in the cloud, we use a secondary link, with 100Mbps upload.
After 3 days uploading, the total amount of downloaded files reaches 125GB.
When we run tests using the client’s own Amazon for Windows, the 1TB copy took about 10 hours to copy all the content.
I have verified that the Odrive process has a high consumption of RAM and CPU, but it is normal.
Can someone tell me what might be happening?

Hi @ti1,
Are these large files that are being uploaded?

What does the command CLI status --uploads show? Is it uploading multiple files, or a single file at a time? Unfortunately Amazon’s single-file upload performance is not that great and that could be what you are seeing here.

Hello Tony,
There are thousands of files. There are thousands of files. There are documents and videos. Some videos reach 400MB.
The result of the command follows:

odrive status --uploads

No uploads.

odrive status

odrive Make Cloud Storage THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

isActivated: True hasSession: True
email: privacy accountType: CloudDrive
syncEnabled: True version: prod 916
placeholderThreshold: neverDownload autoUnsyncThreshold: never
downloadThrottlingThreshold: unlimited uploadThrottlingThreshold: normal
autoTrashThreshold: never Mounts: 1
xlThreshold: never Backups: 2

Sync Requests: 0
Background Requests: 0
Uploads: 0
Downloads: 0
Trash: 0
Waiting: 0
Not Allowed: 0

Hi @ti1,
Can you tail the backup log? You should find it in ~/.odrive-agent/log/backup.log

It should allow you to get a view into what backup is doing and how it advancing.

Inside the “~ / .odrive-agent / log /” folder, I see only two files:
Agent.log and error.log.
The error.log file is empty.

The contents of the agent.log file:
01 Jun 10:43:06AM INFO protocol server started on port: 56099
01 Jun 10:50:03AM INFO 7 days remaining Your premium features expire in 7 days. Please upgrade your account for uninterrupted service.
01 Jun 12:25:20PM INFO The backup is now running. You can manage backups and monitor progress from the system menu.
01 Jun 05:14:47PM INFO The backup is now running. You can manage backups and monitor progress from the system menu.
02 Jun 10:04:01AM INFO 6 days remaining Your premium features expire in 6 days. Please upgrade your account for uninterrupted service.
03 Jun 10:03:52AM INFO 5 days remaining Your premium features expire in 5 days. Please upgrade your account for uninterrupted service.
04 Jun 10:04:00AM INFO 4 days remaining Your premium features expire in 4 days. Please upgrade your account for uninterrupted service.
05 Jun 10:03:55AM INFO 3 days remaining Your premium features expire in 3 days. Please upgrade your account for uninterrupted service.

It’s been 4 days since the backup is running. Of the 1TB of files, only 144GB were transferred.

hi @ti1,
It is odd that you do not have a backup log file. I have tested this now on a few systems and a backup log is created that details the actions taken. In any case, it looks like things are backing up, but just not as fast as you’d hoped.

As I mentioned in another thread, this backup feature in the CLI is really just an early beta. This being the case, it is not optimized and not using any multi-file concurrency for upload. If you have a lot of files this will slow down the process since odrive will be uploading one file at a time instead of multiples.

Hi, Tony.
News about here.
I decided to end the Odrive Agent process and start over.
Then I performed the same backup.
Now the backup.log file has appeared, where it shows the files that are in the process of upload.
Let’s wait until the next day to get a backup status.

Thanks for the update @ti1. Glad to hear that you’ve got the log now to monitor.

Tony,

We will not use Amazon Drive services.
We have two reasons to leave Amazon Drive:

1 - Extremely slow upload. The Odrive uploading for 5 days, to transfer 200GB, with a unique 100Mbps link to back up;
2 - Amazon changed storage plans. Unlimited storage no longer exists.

So I’ll test another storage plan.
Thanks for the support.
Greetings,

Thanks for the update @ti1. I hope you are able to find a good storage solution for your needs.