Error backing up

I have a sync folder that I also backup. Everytime it makes a backup, I get a generic error:

Skärmbild_20230131_181241

The logfile indicates there is a problem to back up several files, because they already exist. Isn’t it normal that the files already exist?

31 Jan 02:26:38PM INFO Beginning backup.
31 Jan 02:26:38PM INFO Backing up E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender to \Folkes OneDrive\Folkes\Blender Backup\Blender.
31 Jan 02:26:38PM INFO Backup merge mode set to: True
31 Jan 02:39:30PM INFO Found 1277 bytes to back up.
31 Jan 02:40:50PM INFO Uploading E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Chocofur_House_Breukelen_3D_Scene\meshes\Chocofur_Corona_Scene.017.obj.
31 Jan 02:40:51PM ERROR Unable to back up file E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Chocofur_House_Breukelen_3D_Scene\meshes\Chocofur_Corona_Scene.017.obj: There is already an item with that name.
31 Jan 02:40:51PM ERROR Encountered an error uploading E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Chocofur_House_Breukelen_3D_Scene\meshes\Chocofur_Corona_Scene.017.obj. Waiting and retrying…
31 Jan 02:42:54PM INFO Uploading E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Chocofur_House_Breukelen_3D_Scene\meshes\Chocofur_Corona_Scene.017.obj.
31 Jan 02:42:54PM ERROR Unable to back up file E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Chocofur_House_Breukelen_3D_Scene\meshes\Chocofur_Corona_Scene.017.obj: There is already an item with that name.
31 Jan 02:47:12PM INFO Uploading E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Unreal\Game\Studio_test_01_Merge_27\Materials\Texture_1_jpeg_2_Texture_1_jpeg_2_N.bmp.
31 Jan 02:47:12PM ERROR Unable to back up file E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Unreal\Game\Studio_test_01_Merge_27\Materials\Texture_1_jpeg_2_Texture_1_jpeg_2_N.bmp: There is already an item with that name.
31 Jan 02:47:12PM ERROR Encountered an error uploading E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Unreal\Game\Studio_test_01_Merge_27\Materials\Texture_1_jpeg_2_Texture_1_jpeg_2_N.bmp. Waiting and retrying…
31 Jan 02:49:15PM INFO Uploading E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Unreal\Game\Studio_test_01_Merge_27\Materials\Texture_1_jpeg_2_Texture_1_jpeg_2_N.bmp.
31 Jan 02:49:16PM ERROR Unable to back up file E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Unreal\Game\Studio_test_01_Merge_27\Materials\Texture_1_jpeg_2_Texture_1_jpeg_2_N.bmp: There is already an item with that name.
31 Jan 02:57:05PM INFO Finished backing up E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender.
31 Jan 02:57:05PM INFO Error encountered backing up E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender to \Folkes OneDrive\Folkes\Blender Backup\Blender
31 Jan 02:57:05PM INFO Finished backup.

I guess everything else worked, but I would like to get rid of the error.

Regards
/Staffan

Hi @staffan,

The premise behind the backup feature is that the remote destination folder you are targeting is used only for backup, as opposed to sync. After your backup is initially created, if files are changed or added to that remote folder by a different application, odrive can run into these types of issues where it is trying to upload a “new” local file, but that file already exists on the remote and odrive wasn’t the application that put it there.

Can you provide some details on this? What is the setup?

I have a sync folder. That folder is backed up. I never touch the backup folder. That shouldn’t be a problem?

To clarify; I backup the folder on Onedrive, not the one I have on my computer.

Hi @staffan,
Thanks for the response. I am still not clear on how things are related.

• What applications are interacting with the E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender to \Folkes OneDrive\Folkes\Blender Backup\Blender folder?
  • Is this folder interacted with by any other computers/people?
  • Is odrive the only application that is uploading files this remote location?
  • Can you send over a diagnostic, so I can take a closer look at things?

Sure. I sent a diagnostic.

Just Odrive through backup.

E:\ is mounted with Mountain Duck, and Odrive access it as a mounted volume. The source, E:\Blender, is synced to the desktop with Odrive, and also backed up to E:\Blender Backup. E:\ is a OneDrive folder.

Yes.

This may seem complicated, but I couldn’t find a better way of both having automated backup and sync of the same content…

Hi @staffan,
Thanks for the information.

Looking at the logs, I think these files hit a scenario where they were successfully uploaded, but OneDrive reported a failure. odrive retries, but the file now exists, and it generates this error.

To work around this, you can rename the file on OneDrive for these items, or delete them on OneDrive. odrive will then be able to upload them on the next backup pass.

OK, that sounds like it should work.
Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, is Odrive comparing 1:1 file likeness, or just filename and size?

/Staffan

Hi @staffan,

Name, size, and modified date are compared in most cases.

That didn’t work. Now it’s saying the files doesn’t exist. I sent diagnostics too.

31 Jan 10:25:58PM INFO Beginning backup.
31 Jan 10:25:58PM INFO Backing up E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender to \Folkes OneDrive\Folkes\Blender Backup\Blender.
31 Jan 10:25:58PM INFO Backup merge mode set to: True
31 Jan 10:39:05PM INFO Found 1277 bytes to back up.
31 Jan 10:40:18PM INFO Uploading E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Chocofur_House_Breukelen_3D_Scene\meshes\Chocofur_Corona_Scene.017.obj.
31 Jan 10:40:18PM ERROR Unable to back up file E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Chocofur_House_Breukelen_3D_Scene\meshes\Chocofur_Corona_Scene.017.obj: Item does not exist on Microsoft OneDrive.
31 Jan 10:40:18PM ERROR Encountered an error uploading E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Chocofur_House_Breukelen_3D_Scene\meshes\Chocofur_Corona_Scene.017.obj. Waiting and retrying…
31 Jan 10:42:22PM INFO Uploading E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Chocofur_House_Breukelen_3D_Scene\meshes\Chocofur_Corona_Scene.017.obj.
31 Jan 10:42:22PM ERROR Unable to back up file E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Chocofur_House_Breukelen_3D_Scene\meshes\Chocofur_Corona_Scene.017.obj: Item does not exist on Microsoft OneDrive.
31 Jan 10:46:33PM INFO Uploading E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Unreal\Game\Studio_test_01_Merge_27\Materials\Texture_1_jpeg_2_Texture_1_jpeg_2_N.bmp.
31 Jan 10:46:33PM ERROR Unable to back up file E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Unreal\Game\Studio_test_01_Merge_27\Materials\Texture_1_jpeg_2_Texture_1_jpeg_2_N.bmp: Item does not exist on Microsoft OneDrive.
31 Jan 10:46:33PM ERROR Encountered an error uploading E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Unreal\Game\Studio_test_01_Merge_27\Materials\Texture_1_jpeg_2_Texture_1_jpeg_2_N.bmp. Waiting and retrying…
31 Jan 10:48:39PM INFO Uploading E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Unreal\Game\Studio_test_01_Merge_27\Materials\Texture_1_jpeg_2_Texture_1_jpeg_2_N.bmp.
31 Jan 10:48:39PM ERROR Unable to back up file E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender\Test Scenes\Unreal\Game\Studio_test_01_Merge_27\Materials\Texture_1_jpeg_2_Texture_1_jpeg_2_N.bmp: Item does not exist on Microsoft OneDrive.
31 Jan 10:56:07PM INFO Finished backing up E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender.
31 Jan 10:56:07PM INFO Error encountered backing up E:\Shared\Folkes\Blender to \Folkes OneDrive\Folkes\Blender Backup\Blender
31 Jan 10:56:07PM INFO Finished backup.

Hi @staffan,
Hmm… This is strange.

Did you only rename the 2 individual files, or did you rename a folder?

I deleted two folders.

Hi @staffan,
Ahh, okay.

Since this is backup and not sync, odrive doesn’t look to see if the structure exists, once it has already created it on the remote. The error now is because it it trying to upload to the folder it thinks exists, but it is no longer there.

I copied the folders back, but it’s not working. It won’t back up those two folders properly… Do I have to delete the backup and start over? This is weird, and the error messages don’t make sence. It says the files don’t exist, even though I just uploaded them.

I have a lot of other problems with Odrive and OneDrive that I never saw with Amazon Drive, but I’ll post separate questions about that. This isn’t working well.

Hey @staffan,
Once a backup has been initially created and processed, odrive depends on the structure (folders) to remain static. The assumption is that a backup structure will not be modified.

In this case if you renamed just the files, it should’ve allowed the local files to be uploaded. Removing the folders causes the “not found” error because the structure that odrive is depending on being there is missing. For backup, odrive is essentially uploading “blind” (as opposed to sync that looks at both sides and determines the differences).

If you remove the backup and recreate it, odrive will go through the full initialization routine and can compensate for existing structure. This should get past the current issues you are having. After the initialization, odrive assumes the backup structure will not change.

OK, this seems to work now. Thanks!

1 Like