// Annomaly detected!!
Accidentally, I managed to encrypt a folder with two different keys. I now have one computer writing to a folder with password "123" and another computer writing to this folder with "abc".
// What is the behaviour of this anomaly?
This small anomaly showed me some behaviour of ODrive that I would like to discuss. (For simplicity, let me refer to the folders with their passphrases).
- I put a file X in folder "123" and a file Y in folder "abc"
- On Amazon Drive, I have two files (presumably file X encrypted with "123" and file Y encrypted with "abc")
- When I unsync and than sync a folder "123" and "abc", I only get X in folder "123" and Y in "abc" and no error in the log!!!!
Next, I tried to delete folder "123". I got the message
- "Restored deleted item. The file/folder could not be modified".
This made me a bit happyer, because folder "123" should not be allowed to trash files put there through folder "abc".
Additionally, I tried to rename the folder. This worked. I also expected this, because the folder name of the root folder is not encrypted.
// Why am I deeply concerned?
In order to use ODrive, you need to be able to trust ODrive for the full 100% to sync files. This examples shows that the icons of ODrive are not to be trusted 100%; I thought I had all the files in my folder "123", but in fact, I was missing the files put there through folder "abc".
// How to solve/improve this?
- Most importantly: give me as a user the tools to be 100% sure that all my files are in sync: https://forum.odrive.com/t/odrive-checkmark-is-misleading-folder-is-not-in-sync/1220/3
=> Please, give a me a checksum feature so I can trust ODrive.
- Fix the icons: a blue check icon is misleading. It should not have been checked
- If ODrive is unable to get all my files for whatever reason (like that a folder contains files encrypted with different keys) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE -- notify me! In my example, I would have loved to read "Sorry, ODrive has found files in your folder that cannot be encrypted. We believe these folders are derived from another source than this folder on your pc". The reason thy it is so important to notify me, is that I could have thrown away my precious files after a migration/move action. This is what a lot of users are afraid of in my opinion
- Fix the (small) anomaly that two computers can write to the same folder with different keys is easy to fix