Duplicate files and name changes

I have my Desktop mirrored to ODrive with Sync enabled, Downloading everything, Including subfolders, and Saving and applying to new files recursively.

Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 12.13.49 PM

There are two odd behaviors, probably related:

(1) When I change the name of something in a subfolder, ODrive does not seem to add the renamed file (I see no icon next to it), but it does restore the original file with the original name, so I now have two copies with different names.

(2) When I move a file from the desktop itself into a subfolder, Odrive restores the original to the Desktop (and retains the one in the subfolder, too). Again, I now have two copies.

In both cases, the files are large video files (10-15 Gb).

Is this a known problem? If so, is there a workaround? Neither of the files are .cloudf files—they seem to both have data in them.

Hi @allen,
Can you try reproducing the issue and then send a diagnostic from the odrive tray menu along with a description of the operation you attempted? I can take a look and see what is going on under the hood.

Hi Tony,

I just sent a diagnostic. The last duplication-on-rename happened at 11:59 this morning. I’ll try to duplicate the “move from desktop to subfolder makes duplicate” problem and send another diagnostic if I can. In this directory, the two highlighted GOTO files had just been renamed to the WirecastCapture files, then odrive restored the originals.

Hey @allen,
I took a look at this and I think I know what happened.

odrive detected an “update” on the GOTO_1.mp4 and GOTO_2.mp4 files). The size remained the same on the files, so it may have just been a attribute change that changed the file date. As it was trying to download these file updates, due to the date change , the local files were renamed, interrupting the download.

Now odrive has a queued download for those file updates and a queued upload for the files under the new name. This is essentially a conflict scenario because of the date differences. In that case odrive treats the files as “new” and performs the download and the upload, preserving all of the files.

If you run into this again, I can take a look at that new scenario and see if looks the same in terms of sequencing.

That makes sense in both situations. These were all very large files, and I was most likely moving them around while they were still uploading. I’m guessing, then, that the only workaround for now is simply to wait for odrive to finish the upload before making the modification. Is this a solvable problem in the longer term?

Hi @allen,
Yup! Your best bet is to avoid moving/renaming until the files have finished syncing (either uploading or downloading).

We’ll look into what is possible, long-term, but there may not be much that can be done without sacrificing the “safe play” for potential conflict scenarios.