Does Moving Files Generate a Delete List

i reorganized some files and directories in my odrive Work directory.

this generated a bit list of files in my Trash, waiting for permission for permanent deletion. that’s normal, right? because the list of file names doesn’t contain any location data – ie: deleted from the old directory.

is it also normal for several of those moved files to be turned into .cloud versions of themselves? that means they really got deleted locally, doesn’t it?

…now i’m REALLY afraid to empty the trash! ;D

Hi @BLR,
Moving files can generate deletes if the move can’t be “optimized”. What I mean by this is, odrive determines what has been changed based on a few things. It tries to correlate files showing up in one folder with files missing in another folder, but it can’t always do that. When it can’t do that it will see the move you performed as an add + delete (an add of items to one location and a delete of items in another location). In this case you will see those items show up in the odrive trash.

I may need more details on what you are seeing here. Were all of the items you moved synced locally, or did you move some placeholders, as well?

Can you send over a diagnostic so I can take a closer look at things?

heyas, tony!

i was going to say that all my files were and stay local… but now that i think about it, i can’t be 100% sure.

but these particular files
https://prnt.sc/22u345q

were supposed to have been moved to the Magic sub-directory with the other files. actually, since the other files are all local, they should ALL be all local.

note: after i started re-arranging, i DID tell the synch to stop, because it was flipping out a little bit ;D next time, i’ll remember to do that FIRST. maybe the cloud-ified ones got moved before i turned that off?

okay, currently, i have 76 items in trash, and 76 items in ‘waiting.’ aha! the lists are the same files! does that mean the trashed ones are the old locations, and the waiting ones are going to be written to the new locations?

sorry, but you know how paranoid i am about accidentally losing anything!

ps: all the “(conflict)” files there… yeah, i never got around to sorting and renaming those, from my other fiasco. ;D so don’t worry about that.

oh, i saw another similar thread on the forum here… and the advice was to rearrange the files/folders on the cloud, instead of the local machine? how does that work, if i keep all my files local as well as on the cloud?

Hi @BLR,
Thanks for sending over the diagnostic. I think what is causing some confusion is that B2 doesn’t have a native “move” ability, so all moves are going end up being adds and deletes.

For all of the files you had local and moved, those would’ve been uploaded to the new location and then processed as deletes in the old location. In “optimized” cases, where odrive initially detected a move but could not perform one because B2 doesn’t support it, odrive will perform these add + delete actions in-line, doing an upload and auto-delete of the old file.

For non-optimized moves, the files will be uploaded and then the odrive trash will contain the old location paths. You said that you had stopped sync at some point during the restructuring. This can contribute to odrive being unable to “optimize” the actions, which probably explains why you see so many items in the trash.

You should be able to verify that the files you moved are showing as synced in the new location, to assuage your concerns. The current_odrive_status.txt file that is generated when you send a diagnostic will show a listing of all of the items currently in the odrive trash, with their full paths.

The .cloud files you see are due to the items being placeholders when the move was attempted. Since B2 doesn’t support moves and an add + delete is needed, the placeholder files are put back in the original location. This is because placeholder do not offer anything to upload.

You can see this in the sync activity log:

12 Dec 08:02:01PM ERROR Failed Move (Local to Remote) for Item: E:\WORK\3D\3rd Party\TeegleHorse\1Ring2SwirlSparklesAIO2.dae.cloud to E:/WORK/3D/3rd Party/TeegleHorse/Magic/1Ring2SwirlSparklesAIO2.dae.cloud - Size: NA - Date: NA - Error: code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED caused by B2RequestException(code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED - not supported)
12 Dec 08:02:01PM ERROR Failed Move (Local to Remote) for Item: E:\WORK\3D\3rd Party\TeegleHorse\MagicRunes-Hi.dae.cloud to E:/WORK/3D/3rd Party/TeegleHorse/Magic/MagicRunes-Hi.dae.cloud - Size: NA - Date: NA - Error: code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED caused by B2RequestException(code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED - not supported)
12 Dec 08:02:01PM ERROR Failed Move (Local to Remote) for Item: E:\WORK\3D\3rd Party\TeegleHorse\MagicRunes-Lo.dae.cloud to E:/WORK/3D/3rd Party/TeegleHorse/Magic/MagicRunes-Lo.dae.cloud - Size: NA - Date: NA - Error: code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED caused by B2RequestException(code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED - not supported)
12 Dec 08:02:01PM ERROR Failed Move (Local to Remote) for Item: E:\WORK\3D\3rd Party\TeegleHorse\MagicRunes-Md.dae.cloud to E:/WORK/3D/3rd Party/TeegleHorse/Magic/MagicRunes-Md.dae.cloud - Size: NA - Date: NA - Error: code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED caused by B2RequestException(code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED - not supported)
12 Dec 08:02:01PM ERROR Failed Move (Local to Remote) for Item: E:\WORK\3D\3rd Party\TeegleHorse\MagicSpinnyRings.dae.cloud to E:/WORK/3D/3rd Party/TeegleHorse/Magic/MagicSpinnyRings.dae.cloud - Size: NA - Date: NA - Error: code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED caused by B2RequestException(code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED - not supported)
12 Dec 08:02:01PM ERROR Failed Move (Local to Remote) for Item: E:\WORK\3D\3rd Party\TeegleHorse\SimpleShapes (conflict).blend.cloud to E:/WORK/3D/3rd Party/TeegleHorse/Magic/SimpleShapes (conflict).blend.cloud - Size: NA - Date: NA - Error: code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED caused by B2RequestException(code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED - not supported)
12 Dec 08:02:01PM ERROR Failed Move (Local to Remote) for Item: E:\WORK\3D\3rd Party\TeegleHorse\SimpleShapes (conflict).blend1.cloud to E:/WORK/3D/3rd Party/TeegleHorse/Magic/SimpleShapes (conflict).blend1.cloud - Size: NA - Date: NA - Error: code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED caused by B2RequestException(code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED - not supported)
12 Dec 08:02:01PM ERROR Failed Move (Local to Remote) for Item: E:\WORK\3D\3rd Party\TeegleHorse\SimpleShapes-1.blend.cloud to E:/WORK/3D/3rd Party/TeegleHorse/Magic/SimpleShapes-1.blend.cloud - Size: NA - Date: NA - Error: code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED caused by B2RequestException(code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED - not supported)
12 Dec 08:02:01PM ERROR Failed Move (Local to Remote) for Item: E:\WORK\3D\3rd Party\TeegleHorse\SimpleShapes-1.blend1.cloud to E:/WORK/3D/3rd Party/TeegleHorse/Magic/SimpleShapes-1.blend1.cloud - Size: NA - Date: NA - Error: code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED caused by B2RequestException(code B2_MOVE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED - not supported)

Our latest version has actually added some additional messaging to make users more aware of when this type of scenario occurs:

If you look at the “sync activity log”, starting at 12 Dec 07:00:04PM you can see where the move happened and the subsequent activity after that. Aside from the .cloud files, it looks like everything was moved over and the items in the trash were either explicitly deleted or a result of the add + delete action of moving them to the sub folder.

thanks a million, tony!

1 Like