Content in the trash bin

Can you explain what content ends up in the trash bin?

If, for example, I delete a file in Google Drive, does that automatically show up in the Odrive Trash bin?

And what does the option ‘sync delete’ mean?

1 Like

Hi @karinvdbosch,
Please take a look at our documentation here for information on the odrive trash feature: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/sync-changes#section--delete-existing-files-

Hi Tony,

Thank you. I try to figure out how the trash bin works.

“When you delete files on your desktop, they sit safely in the odrive sync trash. (…) Until you empty the trash, the files are NOT deleted on the cloud.”

I have Google Drive connected to Odrive. In Google Drive most of the folders and files are shared files/folders.
Sometimes I delete a file, sometimes a colleague does.

If I go to Windows Explorer on my desktop --> Odrive --> Google Drive folder within Odrive, and then I delete a file/folder, are they NOT deleted on Odrive cloud? Is that correct?
If so, I didn’t know that, and over the years I have deleted many files in explorer…So then I should have an Odrive trash bin of many, many items…

And if I delete an item (on my desktop) does it also go to the Trash bin on my desktop? (the Windows trash bin)
And does it also go to the trash bin of Google? Since it is actually a file/folder on Google Drive.

So, does this mean that the same item ends up in at least 3 trash bins? (Windows, Google Drive (or Dropbox), and Odrive trash bin?

Hi @karinvdbosch,

Yes that is correct. The local file will normally go into the Windows recycle bin. odrive will see this delete and queue it in the odrive trash. This means odrive “holds on to” this delete and doesn’t send it to Google Drive until you empty the odrive trash. Once you empty the odrive trash, odrive sends that delete command as a “move to trash” command to Google Drive, which then moves that file into the Google Drive trash.

You can bypass the odrive trash, or set it to auto-empty by setting up the “auto empty trash” feature in the odrive menu, although we don’t recommend it. We’ve found the extra trash protection can go a long way if something is inadvertently deleted.

They might soon bring auto-deletion as well in cloud storage.
As in, a file which has been deleted from local system reaches the cloud trash. If the same item remains in the trash for a specific period of time, the cloud clears the trash bin.
Items in the trash bin would be cleared in regular cycles of time.
This is already available in a few drives, hope this comes here as well.

Hi Tony,

“This means odrive “holds on to” this delete and doesn’t send it to Google Drive until you empty the odrive trash.”

Thanks for explaining this. So, if I understand it well, it means that I delete an item via Windows explorer, but if I go to Google Drive I will still see it as a regular file, even while I have deleted it?
(for as long as I have not emptied the odrive trash)

So, then there is a difference between the files I see on my desktop file manager and the files that I see in the cloud file manager (i.a. drive.google.com). Correct?

Hi @karinvdbosch,
That is correct. You will see a difference in the items that were locally deleted, until the odrive trash is emptied.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for explaining this. Then it would be nice (feature request) if ODrive could have a system that shows these differences to me. I mean that in Odrive I see something like “items in trash - windows”, “items in trash - Google/Dropbox etc.” , 'items in trash - Odrive". Or some other way to easily see these differences in one place.

Hi @karinvdbosch,
In general, you can use just the list of items in the odrive trash to determine the difference, in terms of sync. Any items you see in the odrive trash will still exist on the remote side, but not the local side.

odrive only knows what it is in charge of syncing, so it doesn’t track items in the local system’s recycle/trash bin or in the remote storage’s recycle/trash bin, which are outside of its view.

1 Like