Conflict file not being created

Hi,

I am testing odrive for potential use at our company with documents being stored in google drive and windows clients.
I have two separate odrive accounts on separate machines under different user names.
I opened the same file that is in a shared google drive on both.
I made a change to the file on both and hit save on both at around the same time to see what happens.
One of them is always saved and the cloud version of the document is updated with the changes.
On the machine where the one does not save it just has the status of “waiting” on the odrive client.
I was expecting a second copy with conflict appended to the name to appear in google doc’s.
I can replicate this every time.
Is this the expected behavior ?
Obviously I cant just have one users changes lost without them being notified.

Any help to resolve this would be appreciated and allow me to further test.

Cheers,
Wayne.

Hi @waynem,

To better understand the scenario, would you like to write down the steps how are you running the test? Also can you please post the results of following test?

1. Add a “odriveTest.docx” file into Google Drive storage folder.
  1. Sync and open “odriveTest.docx” file in both of your machines (machine-A and machine-B)
  2. Make changes to file in machine-A and machine-B respectively (don’t save).
  3. Hit Ctrl + S or Save the file menu in machine-A, Close the file and wait until file is synced to storage.
  4. Hit Ctrl + S or Save the file menu in machine-B, Close the file and wait until file is synced to storage.
  5. Post your results or outcome at step#5

Btw, do you close the files after edit / save in both machines during your own test? if not then would you try to close the files similar to #4 and #5. Please send diagnostic report from odrive tray menu, I’ll take a look why file has status of “Waiting” in your desktop client.

Thanks,
Asif

Hi,

I pretty much did the steps you said but did not wait as in a multiuser scenario this cant be guaranteed and that was one of the tings I was testing.

What I have found which seems obvious now is both versions were saved in the google drive.

One as the latest version and one as the previous.

So it makes sense to me what is happening now but its not ideal behavior as one user would not know their changes are not in the current version.

Saying that I am not sure there is any way around this.

Thanks for looking at this.

Cheers,
Wayne.

Yes, detecting a conflict is purely timing-based, depends on when client hits the service or storage, I have further tested the conflict cases and to clarify:

Case 1: If local file is dirty and storage don’t have any latest changes available yet then in Google Drive file versions are created since both clients request the service almost same time (no conflict file version generated by odrive in this case).

1. Sync and open “odriveTest.docx” file in both of your machines (machine-A and machine-B)
  2. Make changes to file in machine-A and machine-B respectively (don’t save).
  3. Hit Ctrl + S or Save from the file menu in machine-A and machine-B simultaneously and close the file the both machines immediately. Here you will notice file versions are created in Google Drive storage.

Case 2: If local file is dirty and storage also have any latest changes available then in Google Drive odrive app creates conflicted file version.

2. Make changes to the file in machine-A and machine-B respectively (don’t save).
  3. Hit Ctrl + S or Save the file menu in machine-A and close the file while file is still open in your machine-B for editing.
  4. Wait for the file from machine-A to get synced to Google Drive and this change is detected by machine-B then hit Ctrl + S or Save from the file menu in machine-B and close the file. Here you will notice conflicted file version is created by odrive which later syncs to Google Drive storage.

Key point is, in both cases clients changes are saved to Google Drive storage but case#2 seems more close to what you are looking for to fill your requirements? I agree, #2 is good from feedback point of view whereas #1 is good for other users from files management stand point.

Please let us know if you have any further questions

Thanks,
Asif

Hi,

Thanks for looking into this for me.
One other thing which would help this to become a non issue is a file in use / locking warning.
I did find a mention that this was a feature coming soon but could not find it in the feature list.
What would be ideal for us it a warning if we are going to edit a file (when users are on the network) that it is in use.
I believe dropbox can do this ?

Is this a feature you have or is it one you have coming soon ?

Cheers,
Wayne.