Confirmation on moving and renaming placeholders

I have a bunch of stuff in Amazon Cloud Drive that I need to cleanup. Some removing, some moving within ACD, and some renaming of files and folders.

I was looking in the documentation about Placeholder Files and wanted to make sure I knew what I can and can’t do.

FWIW, all of this is in macOS 10.12.2.

So I know I can move both file and placeholders around the same source and have that work ok. I haven’t tried it yet, but that makes sense.

What about renaming placeholders?

This would all be done via the odrive folder with the ACD folder within rather than a folder currently syncing with ACD.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, you’re right. You can rename and move placeholder files within the same linked storage folder fine. This will cause the changes to sync up properly to your Amazon Drive.

The only thing that doesn’t work with placeholder files is trying to drag them into another linked storage… We don’t have a direct cloud-to-cloud transfer capability yet. So you if you want to move files between storage, you have to sync it first so it’s a green checkmarked file, then move it to the new location and let the desktop client sync the file up to the new storage).

Also, moving placeholder files outside of the odrive folder or a sync to odrive folder doesn’t make sense. A placeholder file only has meaning within the odrive context.

Aside from that, feel free to do any operations on placeholder files such as rename, move, delete as you would on the full file representation and the change will sync up to the source.

Best,
-Jeff

1 Like