Can't open odrive when clicking on tray bar

Hi,

after I while that odrive is working I can’t open it anymore.
Only reset the PC works for a bit, then after some minutes it stops working again

Hi @daniele.dentamaro,
This can sometimes happen if odrive is very busy with background syncing. Did you recently add a lot of files/folders for upload?

When this happens, are you still able to download files within the odrive folder with a double-click? If so then odrive is still working, but is busy enough to lag the odrive menu. If this is the case I would leave it running and let it sync until it is able to make it through the tasks it needs to perform.

When this happens, is odriveapp still running in the task manager? Does syncing still work?

Just in case, the odrive icon is not retreating to the ^ area of the taskbar, correct? It will do that a few seconds after launching on most systems, so I just wanted to double-check.

Hi guys,
yes the app is still running, and it happens maybe because there are a lot of files not allowed to synch,
So pratically for me the traybar is unusable, I can’t access any odrive function like stop synch, empty trash, etc…

Hi @daniele.dentamaro,
Let’s try gathering a bit more information about the status of odrive when this happens. This is an advanced method, using the CLI to obtain this information.

To use the CLI commands on Windows:

Open up a command prompt by clicking on the Windows icon in the taskbar, typing “cmd”, and then clicking on “Command Prompt”.

Once the command prompt is open, copy and paste the following command in (all one line) and hit enter. This will install the CLI for us to use in the next commands. It could take a minute or two to complete:

powershell -command "& {$comm_bin=\"$HOME\.odrive\common\bin\";$o_cli_bin=\"$comm_bin\odrive.exe\";(New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile(\"https://dl.odrive.com/odrivecli-win\", \"$comm_bin\oc.zip\");$shl=new-object -com shell.application; $shl.namespace(\"$comm_bin\").copyhere($shl.namespace(\"$comm_bin\oc.zip\").items(),0x10);del \"$comm_bin\oc.zip\";}"

This second command will query the odrive desktop status:

powershell -command "& {$comm_bin=\"$HOME\.odrive\common\bin\";$o_cli_bin=\"$comm_bin\odrive.exe\";$(& \"$o_cli_bin\" status);}"

Can you take a screenshot of the result of the status command and post here?

Hi Tony,
here is the result:

C:\Users\asus>powershell -command “& {$comm_bin="$HOME.odrive\common\bin";$o_cli_bin="$comm_bin\odrive.exe";(New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile("https://dl.odrive.com/odrivecli-win\”, "$comm_bin\oc.zip");$shl=new-object -com shell.application; $shl.namespace("$comm_bin").copyhere($shl.namespace("$comm_bin\oc.zip").items(),0x10);del "$comm_bin\oc.zip";}"

C:\Users\asus>powershell -command “& {$comm_bin="$HOME.odrive\common\bin";$o_cli_bin="$comm_bin\odrive.exe";$(& "$o_cli_bin" status);}”
odrive Make Cloud Storage THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

isActivated: True hasSession: True
email: daniele.dentamaro@gmail.com accountType: Google
syncEnabled: False version: prod 6484
placeholderThreshold: neverDownload autoUnsyncThreshold: never
downloadThrottlingThreshold: unlimited uploadThrottlingThreshold: normal
autoTrashThreshold: never Mounts: 1
xlThreshold: never Backups: 0

Sync Requests: 0
Background Requests: 0
Uploads: 0
Downloads: 0
Trash: 113
Waiting: 20361
Not Allowed: 0

Hi @daniele.dentamaro,
Thanks for this. The 20361 files in Waiting are looking like the likely suspect here.

Can you run the following command to get some details on the items in waiting?
powershell -command "& {$comm_bin=\"$HOME\.odrive\common\bin\";$o_cli_bin=\"$comm_bin\odrive.exe\";$(& \"$o_cli_bin\" status --waiting);}"

I expect they are all probably waiting for the same reason, but we need to figure out what that reason is.

Hi Tony,
the reason is that I use Amazon drive to backup photos (it’s free for pics), and all the other files that are not photos remains in the waiting list forever

Hi @daniele.dentamaro,
Thanks for the additional details. The large amount of files in waiting can cause the odrive menu to basically “time out”, like you are seeing. I will see what can be done about that for a future release.

We do have an advanced setting (Premium feature) that can be used to exclude certain file types, like videos. This would prevent these from being listed in the “waiting” list. You can find out more about that here: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/sync-changes#section--custom-ignore-list-blacklist-
In your case you could add video extensions to the blackListExtensions section.

I already know your premium plan, but is too expensive for my needs