Can't launch Mac desktop app

I’ve installed the Mac desktop app from your website and it seems to install correctly. However, when I try to open the app, nothing happens. Under “Info” the version says 0.0.0. This app worked for me previously, but for some reason stopped working after I logged out of the user profile in an attempt to switch users. I’m updated to the latest OS.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @hdboice,

Can you try a full uninstall on the Mac and then another reinstall to see if it will resolve this issue?

Hi Tony, I had tried that a few times and it didn’t work. I was finally able to launch the app by right clicking on the icon in finder and going to “package contents” and opening it from there. All works well now. Thank you for responding!

Hi @hdboice,
That is definitely strange.

If you exit are you only able to start by doing the same thing again? It should be opening normally, without any issue, by just double-clicking on the odrive app in /Applications

Hi Tony, I just quit out of the app and tried to reopen it again. Same thing, didn’t launch. However, when I searched for “odrive” in Spotlight Search, there are now two options when I search for “odrive”: (screen shot attached)

1. “odrive - Applications”: this is the original application that won’t launch when I try to open it
  2. “odriveapp”: this is the app that launched & works when I went to “Show Package Contents”

I opened “odriveapp” and that worked for me again.

Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks!

40%20PM

Thanks for the additional information @hdboice. I don’t want to have you jump through too many hoops since you have a way to launch the app, but if you get a chance, can you try the following and let me know the result? I’m just trying to figure out why the odrive launcher would not be working properly.

1. Exit odrive.

2. Open a terminal session (type “terminal” in Spotlight search):

3. Run the following commands in the terminal session (copy & paste + Enter) and then paste the output here:

"/Applications/odrive.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive" -v 

If the above command successfully runs odrive, then try this one next, after exiting odrive:

open -W -a "/Applications/odrive.app"

Hi Tony, I ran the first command and here’s what Terminal came back with:

Starting launcher with verbose output…

No product argument was passed in. Attempting to find product.conf…

Using path /Applications/odrive.app/Contents/Resources/product.conf…

Using /Users/hollisboice/.odrive as the installed folder path…

Attempting to mark the installed folder path as hidden…

Writing the product.conf file at /Users/hollisboice/.odrive…

Reading the version number from the version file…

Attempting to read systemAlertRoom from config…

Setting up diagnostics for buildNo: 6518, productName: prod, systemAlertRoom: 1358891

Creating launcher object…

Checking if another odrive process is running again to reduce the chances of a race condition…

Launching…

Got OSError exception [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “<string>”, line 177, in main

File “/Users/admin/hudson/workspace/Odrive_Mac_Master_Launcher/output/artifacts/build/odrive/MacOdrive/out00-PYZ.pyz/src.odrive_app.Launcher”, line 167, in launch

File “/Users/admin/hudson/workspace/Odrive_Mac_Master_Launcher/output/artifacts/build/odrive/MacOdrive/out00-PYZ.pyz/src.odrive_app.Launcher”, line 98, in _launch_app

File “/Users/admin/hudson/workspace/Odrive_Mac_Master_Launcher/output/artifacts/build/odrive/MacOdrive/out00-PYZ.pyz/subprocess”, line 711, in init

File “/Users/admin/hudson/workspace/Odrive_Mac_Master_Launcher/output/artifacts/build/odrive/MacOdrive/out00-PYZ.pyz/subprocess”, line 1343, in _execute_child

OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Could not launch, which means the app is already running

Thanks @hdboice,
Can you try running one more command?

killall -KILL odrive; killall -KILL FinderSyncExtension; sleep 5; cd "$HOME"; rm -r ".odrive/bin"; rm ".odrive/version"; "/Applications/odrive.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive" -v

Can you copy and paste that (all one line) into the terminal when you get a chance and let me know if the resulting output changes?

Hi Tony,

Sure thing, that seemed to work! Here’s the output (and it launched the app)

No matching processes belonging to you were found

Starting launcher with verbose output…

No product argument was passed in. Attempting to find product.conf…

Using path /Applications/odrive.app/Contents/Resources/product.conf…

Using /Users/hollisboice/.odrive as the installed folder path…

Attempting to mark the installed folder path as hidden…

Writing the product.conf file at /Users/hollisboice/.odrive…

Reading the version number from the version file…

Attempting to read systemAlertRoom from config…

Setting up diagnostics for buildNo: 6518, productName: prod, systemAlertRoom: 1358891

Creating launcher object…

Checking if another odrive process is running again to reduce the chances of a race condition…

Launching…

Launch succeeded!

Great! Thanks for the follow-up @hdboice. odrive should launch normally now.

Same exact same happened to me. Always worked fine, recently stopped working. Tried Uninstalling and re-installing and nothing. Trying now what was proposed here.

Hi @luis.c.alves,
Did the method above work for you?

This worked for me! Could not start oDrive, restarting Finder did not work. Thanks!

1 Like