Cannot browse FTP. You do not have sufficient permissions

Hi everyone.

I’m trying to add my own FTP to Odrive and I keep getting “Cannot browse FTP. You do not have sufficient permissions.” even though all my login details are correct. I tried SSL On and Off. Is there anything I need to do through my cPanel to allow FTP Access? I can access ftp perfectly with any FTP app (ie: fireftp etc).

please help!

Hi @rdolmat, I do remember seeing another user run in to this in the past. It seems that some cpanel accounts may not play nicely with root level user accounts, but as a workaround creating a new user/account and giving them proper permissions will resolve the issue. See here for a bit more detailed info: https://www.muut.com/odrive#!/general:setting-up-ftp-no-workie

1 Like

Still not working. Odrive is trying to access some weird places in my FTP.

Code:
Feb 12 14:33:02 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@74.125.182.11) [INFO] Can’t change directory to /home/digitals/: No such file or directory
Feb 12 14:33:02 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@74.125.182.11) [INFO] Logout.
Feb 12 14:33:07 serv01 pure-ftpd: (?@74.125.182.6) [INFO] digitals is now logged in
Feb 12 14:33:07 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@74.125.182.6) [INFO] Can’t change directory to /home/digitals/: No such file or directory
Feb 12 14:33:07 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@74.125.182.6) [INFO] Logout.
Feb 12 14:33:26 serv01 pure-ftpd: (?@74.125.182.5) [INFO] digitals is now logged in
Feb 12 14:33:26 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@74.125.182.5) [INFO] Logout.
Feb 12 14:33:32 serv01 pure-ftpd: (?@74.125.182.8) [INFO] digitals is now logged in
Feb 12 14:33:32 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@74.125.182.8) [INFO] Can’t change directory to /home/digitals/: No such file or directory
Feb 12 14:33:32 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@74.125.182.8) [INFO] Logout.
Feb 12 14:35:44 serv01 pure-ftpd: (?@74.125.182.13) [INFO] digitals is now logged in
Feb 12 14:35:44 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@74.125.182.13) [INFO] Logout.
Feb 12 14:35:48 serv01 pure-ftpd: (?@74.125.182.12) [INFO] digitals is now logged in
Feb 12 14:35:48 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@74.125.182.12) [INFO] Can’t change directory to /digitals/: No such file or directory
Feb 12 14:35:48 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@74.125.182.12) [INFO] Logout.
Feb 12 14:58:17 serv01 pure-ftpd: (?@82.118.240.131) [INFO] digitals is now logged in
Feb 12 14:58:19 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@82.118.240.131) [INFO] SSL/TLS: Enabled TLSv1/SSLv3 with AES256-GCM-SHA384, 256 secret bits cipher
Feb 12 15:13:19 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@82.118.240.131) [INFO] Timeout - try typing a little faster next time
Feb 12 15:55:11 serv01 pure-ftpd: (?@74.125.182.1) [INFO] digitals is now logged in
Feb 12 15:55:11 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@74.125.182.1) [INFO] Can’t change directory to /digitals/: No such file or directory
Feb 12 15:55:11 serv01 pure-ftpd: (digitals@74.125.182.1) [INFO] Logout.

For some reason your client is trying to access /usr/local/apache/domlogs.

Can you post a screenshot of the link parameters (password should be starred out by default), or you can private message it to me if you’d prefer. Sounds like there might be a possible issue with the starting directory.

Hm, can you create a limited account for us to test, and PM me the details to see if we can replicate on our end? Thanks!

Hi Eric.

That won’t help because I only get this error on root accounts. If I create an account for you, it’ll work perfectly. I need root ftp (which doesn’t work with odrive), but my normal user ftp is perfect.

weird :frowning:

Did you ever resolve this?

I would be happy to get ODrive to work with any account on my Filezilla FTP server.

No issues with any FTP client or other applications that use FTP (UltraEdit, Remote Desktop Manager, etc.) ODrive just doesn’t seem to play well with FTP.

Can you describe what you’re seeing exactly? I suspect it’s not the same thing. The prior use case involved root accounts only, but you’re having problems with all accounts.

Are you having problems browsing your FTP link from the web client or the desktop sync client? We’re currently dealing with another issue (caused by an underlying infrastructure change) where the web client may have problems connecting to FTP sites… you would see either a blank listing or perhaps “Cannot browse FTP. Unable to connect to the FTP server” (rather than the no permissions message the other user was reporting). This is only via web client. We’re looking into possible fixes for this. In the meantime, the desktop sync client should be fully operational with regards to syncing with FTP sources.

If you’re seeing a different issue, can you provide an exact error message, step-by-step instructions, and/or a screenshot? Those would be very helpful in helping us solve your problem.

Thanks,
-Jeff

The web client gives the following error:

Cannot browse ZyLAB Staging. FTP Error.

The desktop gives the following error:

Unable to sync ZyLAB Staging.cloudf.
Unexpected error. Please try again later.

Okay, thanks. That’s helpful.

Do you know how this FTP server is configured? We can support the case where you are supposed to connect with simple (insecure) FTP or with FTPS with Explicit TLS. However, if your server requires connecting via FTPS with Implicit TLS, then you won’t be able to connect to it since we don’t support that older/deprecated mode (it’s not technically part of RFC 4217 standard for securing an FTP connection).

When you tried to connect via UltraEdit, you would have had to select that mode by selecting “FTP - Implicit” in the protocol dropdown for UltraEdit. I know that Remote Desktop Manager also has Implicit TLS support. Another indicator is that typically (though not always) you connect to FTP servers with Implicit TLS enabled over port 990 instead of the traditional FTP default port 21.

Basically, I suspect some sort of communication problem since you’re getting an FTP Error. We can reach the the server itself but when we try to talk to it, there is some sort of problem. Most likely this is due to trying to connect to a server requiring FTPS over Implicit SSL, so I want to rule that out first.

Thanks,
-Jeff

See the attached screenshots. The first shows my FTP over TLS settings in Filezilla Server. The second shows my settings in Filezilla desktop client. As you can see, I’m able to access the server using FTP over explicit TLS, While I didn’t take a screen shot, I have it set to listen on port 21 for explicit FTP over TLS. Implicit FTP is allowed and port 990 is used for that. Plain unencrypted FTP is disalled. That said, it did test by changing the setting where is deselected “enable FTP over TLS” and test with a plain unencrypted FTP connection and was still unable to connect with ODrive.

If you can recommend specific settings, I’ll give them a try.

Under Filezilla security levels (no screenshot) I set it to require matching peer IP address of control and data connection (which is the default setting). I’ve also tested with IP check disabled.

Hi @MNBlockhead,

I have conducted bunch of different settings / configurations tests with FileZilla Server and I found out that when “Force PROT P to encrypt file transfers when using FTP over TLS” is enabled in FTP server; odrive gives “Unexpected error” and fails to sync the requested file / folder. This is sometime our engineering expert need to look into it so I have created a ticket (internally) for further investigation.

Here are couple of settings which seems to be working during my tests.

1. Settings: FTP over TLS
  • Uncheck “Force PROT P to encrypt file transfers when using FTP over TLS” in FileZilla Server
  • Add FTP link with FTPS (Explicit TLS) protocol or restart odrive app if you decide to continue with existing FTPS link.
  • Attempt to sync files/folders, does it work using desktop client? please note that web client may still not work since we’re currently dealing with another issue (caused by an underlying infrastructure change) where the web client may have problems connecting to FTP sites
  1. Settings: FTP
  • Uncheck “Disallow plain unencrypted FTP” in FileZilla Server
  • Add FTP link with correct configurations
  • Attempt to sync files/folders, does it work using desktop client? please note that web client may still not work since we’re currently dealing with another issue (caused by an underlying infrastructure change) where the web client may have problems connecting to FTP sites

Thanks
-Asif

Thanks @AsifNisarr. I didn’t realize you had already done all of this and I performed the same testing and came to the same conclusion. :slight_smile:

@MNBlockhead I guess you’ve got the answer both here and in our private thread :slight_smile:

We will see what can be done about it.

Just an update here: Forcing PROT P should work in the next version of odrive

This is available now:

The only caveat is that odrive’s FTP integration won’t currently reuse the command channel session for the encrypted data channel. This means you need to turn off that requirement on your server, if it is set.
In Filezilla this is the “Require TLS session resumption on data connection when using PROT P” option
In ProFTPd this is the “TLSOptions NoSessionReuseRequired” option