API access to odrive

Do you guys have any kind of API exposed for odrive? Your integration work with the different cloud storage providers in and of itself is very valuable. I’m willing to bet many businesses would pay to have access to an API. Very similar to the work nylas is doing with email providers.

3 Likes

Hi @bret.little,
Thanks for the inquiry. This is something we have discussed and have an eye towards in the future, although nothing concrete at this time.

1 Like

This would be awesome. More than awesome! We make a product that allows direct access to various cloud storage services inside Adobe CC apps. If there was a way to make one for odrive, it would be incredibly valuable.

@Tony do you have any updates on this point ?

I run a Saas company, maintaining connectors with all cloud solutions is a big pain. You do the job.
So could be great to directly allow our users to sync their data on our SaaS to their current cloud platform (for example Microsoft OneDrive or Dropbox) thru a developer API of ODrive.

Nobody do that.

Would be amazing

The odrive team launched a service do do that: Oxygen Cloud, cf https://www.oxygencloud.com/

The api is still limited but we hope further enhancements.

Thanks for pinging this again @clement. For others looking at this, our docs have more information here: https://docs.oxygencloud.com/docs

We also have a separate forum at https://forum.oxygencloud.com

@Tony could be great to create a live slack or discord team to talk, in addition to core forum questions (issues). Goal: create a community around what you develop (much harder to build today with a forum)

1 Like

@Tony i see that oxygen cloud is closed, did you merged it with odrive ? Is the api stable right now ? Do you have a developper documentation for odrive ?

How we’d like to use it:

• We developed ourselves a files tree back-end and front-end (with access right management etc…), this is very heavy to maintain, and we’d like to allow our users to sync their file tree with their own Dropbox / google drive.
  • Would be really great to have a back-end as a service for this kind of feature

Screenshot:

Thanks a lot for the news !

1 Like

Hey @clement,
It’s good to hear from you!

Unfortunately we weren’t able to generate enough interest to continue forward with that project right now, so it has been put on hold. We are rolling some of the technology into other products, including odrive, but we don’t have immediate goals for a public API.

Your product sounds interesting. Can you tell me more about it? Who is your audience?

I want to add my 2cents here. I’m an old user who came back to this product after 4 years (and slammed on the premium discount :wink: ). I’m also a Linux user, (web) software engineer and a bit surprised that though you have a daemon to do stuff on Linux at last, you don’t have a built-in web interface!?

How hard would it be to pull in the oxygencloud, add in a few new options and make it drive the agent for us? You are using Python underneath, so everything is possible almost out of the box.

4 years ago when you didn’t have a Linux agent, I bought ResilioSync to setup my own NAS environment to access at least my lan storage. They do a web interface right from the start and made it extremely valuable for customers of any OS to see value in their product.

And as with the lads above, if you don’t see a potential in this please just add the some computer consumable output format available (–json flag maybe) for the commands and we’ll build our own web-server-clients over it. Thank you.

Hi @vad.viktor,
Thanks for chiming in here.

It sounds like you are talking about a local web interface to the odrive agent, is that correct? What type of functionality would you expect within the interface?

Hey Tony :slight_smile: It has been a while since we last chat. On such an interface I would like to:

• be able to (un)mount from a root directory
  • see all my available services
  • sync my directories per service
  • sync my files per service
  • maybe see some useful information about each dir/file on a service (i.e. is my object in Glacier in S3 or not, because otherwise, I’d be not able to sync it obviously)
  • remove my synced files only locally (so the placeholders appear)
  • remove my synced files from both locally and remotely
  • share files/folders

These are the very basic which I can do with ResilioSync easily, you should give it a try (there is a free version and trial version) just to get some idea about a useful interface.

I’m happy to give feedback and ideas to improve this product (which I am obviously now paying for).

1 Like