Flickr: 1000GB free, so I signed up! Looked into the possibility of using Flickr's Uploadr, used it and found it underwhelming, wasn't a good desktop syncing app. I didn't mind paying for a good desktop sync app, if I could find one.
Fast forward, I found odrive when looking for a solution to using multiple Google Drives. I love odrive for its simple and effective way of syncing multiple cloud storage, it's absolutely amazing!
But I was disappointed when I found out I couldn't use odrive to sync my Flickr, as it would have been great to have the similar infrastructure applied for Flickr.
My needs for odrive's Flickr sync would be somewhat basic:
1) Similar to all odrive syncs, two-way syncing using the folder; meaning what is already existing is downloaded into folder, new files put inside are uploaded from folder, deletion from folder are updated.
2) Photos are placed in their respective subfolders with Album/Collection names.
- As Flickr has two ways of grouping stuff for organising photos: Albums and Collections, this is something that should be taken into consideration for development of Folder auto generation for Flickr desktop sync.
Album: contains ONLY photos, no other albums or collections inside.
Collection: contains ONLY Albums _ or_ ONLY (other) Collections (each can be either a Collection of Albums or Collection of Collections),
Translating into Folder formatting:
an Album will become a folder of only photos, with no other folders inside (most basic form)
a Collection will become either
- a folder that contains only Albums
- a folder that contains only folders that are non-Album (each folder can be either a folder containing only Albums _ or_ folder containing only Collections.)
(This would probably be much clearer with a visual aid, oh well.)
*Note: Collections can be nested 5 deep. - source: Flickr site
Edit: On hindsight, I feel it could be potentially hard to code/confusing for users to have Collection functionality, which would be better off being organised in the web interface + it could be impossible to implement due to Flickr's restrictions/permissions.
For it to work, the Collection folder must recognise that an Album placed in it is not a new Album but an existing one being placed in it (thus no new album being uploaded), and my suggestion would be to have a "Add to new Collection" in right-click context menu for Albums or something similar.
Edit2: Perhaps it would be better to leave Collections as KIV or a later update to Flickr syncing. Programs I've tried in the past few days left out Collections presumably from one of the reasons I've listed (photoSync etc.)
It would really be great to see Flickr being added to the list of Cloud storage supported, I'm sure many of us odrive users would be happy. Hope you guys can consider working on this, and thank you for the great work thus far!