Ability for odrive to download files that Google Drive says is a virus

It would appear that oDrive client doesn’t download files that Google Drive says is a virus.
This is either intended behaviour of oDrive, or there isn’t a condition in the client to accept Google’s different response.

E.G. On the browser if I download the file that failed on the client, I get this from Google:

Perhaps the client can’t handle this properly?

I know for a fact that this is a false positive, and I have my own antivirus, so I need OwnCloud to handle this properly and still download the file.

Takeaway:

This is a similar issue to OwnCloud:

Hi @voarsh,
We do not currently set the acknowledgeAbuse parameter in our calls. I will see if this is something we can add as an advanced feature to allow the user to enable this parameter on their Google Drive requests.

Any update about this? :slight_smile:

Hey @voarsh,
I think this got pushed down on the priority list, but I will see if it is something we can slip in in an upcoming release.

1 Like

This is becoming more important for me.
I am migrating away from Google Drive and thus downloading all my data.

I don’t have a list of files oDrive has skipped because they’re flagged as a virus. Any tips?

Hey @voarsh,
Is it possible for you to send me one of these flagged files so I can test with it?

Let me dig around for one for you.

Unable to sync microsoft_office_pro…17ac5-2168.zip.cloud. Google has identified this file as malware or spam and will not allow it to be downloaded.

I can give this one to you.: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bzYOIVVFbB2WRvgyyad8uNxhboEvTLUu/view?usp=sharing
I would run it in a VM.

Any way I can get a list of files that could be deemed as a virus from Google?
I have lots of files that Google would have alarm bells about, but I’d be perfectly happy to download/run them. It’ll be painful to go through and download them manually later.

Hey @voarsh,
I’ll see what I can do in the next few days to at least get a build that will allow download of these files.

You should end up seeing these files that are not allowed to be downloaded listed in the logs and I think they may end up in the not allowed list, too, but you may need to double-check that.

Hey @voarsh,
I am circling back to this for development, but Google won’t let me download that file. It says only the owner can download it. It there another way you can get it to me?

Hi Tony.
Uh, not sure why you need any to download these files specifically, any file that antivirus can flag as a false positive should show the same on Google.
I can send it via email (DM me?) or a dropbox link?

Hi @voarsh,
I don’t have any files in my possession that I know will trigger an error like this from Google.

A dropbox link will probably work, or compressing it with a format that won’t be scanned (.rar or 7-zip, maybe?).

Alright, give this a try:

You need to sign in, I have no idea if Dropbox will do the same as Google Drive.

Thanks.

I was able to get it into a test Google Drive. The way Google treats the flag, you can only set it on a file that triggers the error. This means I couldn’t just have it always enabled, and it needed to be exception triggered. Which meant I needed to actually trigger the exception to properly implement it…

I don’t think I can get a test build out tomorrow, but hopefully early next week.

1 Like

No worries, good to know.
I’ll wait to hear an update from you.

Hi @voarsh,
Here is a linux build with the new override feature in it: https://www.odrive.com/s/92939970-54e4-4da7-b65c-245118bfc86c-5fd5074e

You will want to replace the current odriveagent binary with this one. Also delete the current ~/.odrive-agent/odrive_ user_general_conf.txt so that it regenerate the file.

This new file will have a parameter "allowFlagged": false,. Change false to true and save. After that any Google flagged files will be downloadable.

Documentation: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/advanced-client-options#allowflagged

4 Likes

To avoid this problem in the future what you can do is:

1. Zip the offending file(s) with 7zip/WinRar and use the encryption and password options.
  2. Create a new folder and put a txt with the password in it.
  3. Drop the archive in this folder, Optionally you can archive the outer folder as well (without a password).

This should prevent scanning of those files as PUPs.

Thank You, Tony!!
That was very helpful

1 Like