Xubuntu 16.04 odrive not working: SOS!

HI, appreciate any help. I’m using a fresh Xubuntu 16.04 install. I’ve followed the instructions correctly (I think!!), and authenticated.
There are two folders in my home directory: odrive-agent-mount and a hidden .odrive folder. There must have been a sync of sorts: the odrive-agent-mount contains a google drive folder and a hidden .odrive. None of the links in the google drive folder work, they all end in “.cloudf”. So I cannot access the files, and I cannot sync. There is no desktop folder or link nor is there a link to a folder in Places in file manager. I’m at a loss…if someone could explain what I should be seeing. Or is this ubuntu version too new.
thanks

Hi,
odrive Agent is a CLI-based interface, so you would need to sync from the terminal before interacting with the file in your file manager UI.

Take a look at this section of our usage guide for more details:

HI thank you, yes I understood the terminal is used to sync w/the client, here is what I have done thus far:

xxx@optimus-T500:~$ nohup “$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odriveagent”>/dev/null& [1] 2746
xxx@optimus-T500:~$ nohup: ignoring input and redirecting stderr to stdout

xxx@optimus-T500:~$ “$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive” status

odrive Make Cloud Storage THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

isActivated: True hasSession: True
email: silverspr@gmail.com accountType: Google
syncEnabled: True version: 678
placeholderThreshold: neverDownload autoUnsyncThreshold: never
downloadThrottlingThreshold: unlimited uploadThrottlingThreshold: normal
autoTrashThreshold: never Mounts: 1
xlThreshold: never Backups: 0

Sync Requests: 0
Background Requests: 0
Uploads: 0
Downloads: 0
Trash: 0
Waiting: 0
Not Allowed: 0

xxx@optimus-T500:~$ “$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive” authenticate f4100d6c-8ea4-4215-9e29-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Silverspr

xxx@optimus-T500:~$ “$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive” sync "$HOME/odrive-agent-mount/Dropbox.cloudf"
Unable to sync Dropbox.cloudf. This file doesn’t exist.

So what am I doing wrong? Unable to sync using terminal, and I still can’t interact with the files … they all end in “cloudf”. Do I start over? Error logs aren’t showing anything.
thanks

Hi,
Can you list the contents of $HOME/odrive-agent-mount/ and post here?

ls -al “$HOME/odrive-agent-mount”

xxx@optimus-T500:~$
xxx@optimus-T500:~$ ls -al "$HOME/odrive-agent-mount"
total 24
drwxrwxr-x 3 optimus optimus 4096 Jun 26 17:51 .
drwxr-xr-x 28 optimus optimus 4096 Jun 27 17:07 …
drwxrwxr-x 2 optimus optimus 12288 Jun 27 18:14 Google Drive
-rw-rw-r-- 1 optimus optimus 71 Jun 26 12:41 .odrive
xxx@optimus-T500:~$

honest I haven’t deleted anything!!

From the listing it looks like you have only linked Google Drive so far. It actually appears that you have synced that folder, as well.

What do you see when you issue this command?
ls -al "$HOME/odrive-agent-mount/Google Drive"

For the .cloud and .cloudf files inside, you can sync them using the “sync” command.

If you are looking for ways to sync more than one file/folder at a time, you can take a look at this post, which goes through some basic examples. Keep in mind that in many examples I am using “Dropbox” as my directory, but this is just an example. In your case it would be Google Drive plus whatever additional subfolders you were targeting:

Hi Tony, thanks again
When I run sync:
optimus@optimus-T500:~$ sync "/home/optimus/odrive-agent-mount/Google Drive"
optimus@optimus-T500:~$

nothing happens…and I still don’t know how to open a file with a “.cloudf” extenstion?? they open in mousepad and are null files.
no update w/running status
isActivated: True hasSession: True
email: silverspr@gmail.com accountType: Google
syncEnabled: True version: 678
placeholderThreshold: neverDownload autoUnsyncThreshold: never
downloadThrottlingThreshold: unlimited uploadThrottlingThreshold: normal
autoTrashThreshold: never Mounts: 1
xlThreshold: never Backups: 0

Sync Requests: 0
Background Requests: 0
Uploads: 0
Downloads: 0
Trash: 0
Waiting: 0
Not Allowed: 0

Running one of your scripts, gives me an error:

optimus@optimus-T500:~$ exec 6>&1;output=“go”; while [ “$output” ]; do output=$(find ~/odrive-agent-mount/Google Drive/ -maxdepth 1 -name “*.cloud” -exec python “$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive.py” sync “{}” ;|tee /dev/fd/6); done
find: ‘/home/optimus/odrive-agent-mount/Google’: No such file or directory
find: ‘Drive/’: No such file or directory

to summarize:
sync doesn’t seem to work
how to access the files ending in ".cloudf"
can’t get your script to run which I wouldn’t need if I could get sync to work

thanks for bearing with me.

also running this
optimus@optimus-T500:~$ “$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive” sync "$HOME/odrive-agent-mount/Google Drive"
Unable to sync Google Drive. Please use a placeholder path.
gives an error…

and the output of the folder (copied just a portion of the folder…), you can see the files are all 0 KB
optimus@optimus-T500:~$ ls -al "/home/optimus/odrive-agent-mount/Google Drive/"
total 16
drwxrwxr-x 2 optimus optimus 12288 Jun 27 18:14 .
drwxrwxr-x 3 optimus optimus 4096 Jun 26 17:51 …
-rw-rw-r-- 1 optimus optimus 0 Feb 4 2015 000004057_9198.pdf.cloud
-rw-rw-r-- 1 optimus optimus 0 Feb 18 2015 000004057_9213.pdf.cloud
-rw-rw-r-- 1 optimus optimus 0 Mar 19 2015 000004057_9293.pdf.cloud
-rw-rw-r-- 1 optimus optimus 0 Apr 15 2015 000004057_9337.pdf.cloud
-rw-rw-r-- 1 optimus optimus 0 Apr 29 2015 000004057_9385.pdf.cloud

So, for every file you want to sync locally, you need to run a command like:
"$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive" sync “placeholder file path here”

So, in your case it would be something like:
"$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive" sync “$HOME/odrive-agent-mount/Google Drive/000004057_9198.pdf.cloud”

.cloud files are representative of cloud files. .cloudf files are representative of cloud folders. If you perform a “$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive” sync on a .cloudf file, it will “expand” the folder locally, creating the folder and then creating all of the placeholder files for the contents within that folder. For each placeholder file inside, you would need to sync it, as well, if you want it locally.

Of course, one of the core ideas behind odrive is the ability to pick and choose what you want locally, so you can drill into a specific directory and only sync one file out of thousands, for example.

As for the scripts, I edited them. I was missing some quotes around the path, so they should work now.

For example, this command will sync locally all of the files directly inside your Google Drive directory. This is just using find with a maxdepth of 1 to limit it to the current folder. You can see that the name filter is targeting .cloud placeholder files only, which means only files are being synced:

exec 6>&1;output="go"; while [ "$output" ]; do output=$(find "$HOME/odrive-agent-mount/Google Drive/" -maxdepth 1 -name "*.cloud" -exec python "$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive.py" sync "{}" \;|tee /dev/fd/6); done

If you want to expand all of the folders in Google Drive, you could do this. This command is not using maxdepth, so it will travel the whole structure. It is targeting only cloudf placeholder files, so only folders will be expanded:

exec 6>&1;output="go"; while [ "$output" ]; do output=$(find "$HOME/odrive-agent-mount/Google Drive/" -name "*.cloudf" -exec python "$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive.py" sync "{}" \;|tee /dev/fd/6); done

HI Tony … holy smokes… what did I miss in the online tutorial!!
Or is it linux isn’t covered off as well…

Thanks again I have actually expanded some of the files.
Once a file is expanded how do you continue to sync it?
How do you add a folder…is that the 2nd script you provided. Where are there more tutorials on this??
I’ll have to play around some more. Its not quite as automated as I thought it would be? I can’t just leave it to autosync?
silverspr

Hi Tony, no need to respond to the last email, I’ve been playing around, I think I’m getting the hang of it. Keep forgetting there are two cloud file types: “cloud” and “cloudf” which is where my folders are! thanks again for all your help.

Glad you are getting the hang of things. Its definitely a new concept to interact with files in this way via CLI, so just let us know if you have any other questions.

Just for clarity, edits you make to files within your odrive mount will sync up automatically, although on Linux the lag is more than Win or Mac. To ensure that agent sees the change right away, you can issue a “refresh” command on the parent folder of the file(s) you changed.

Also, once a file is locally cached (.cloud file synced), any changes to it remotely will be brought down automatically.