Windows Installation does not use current user but admin

I’ve just installed the windows software to access my odrive via the windows explorer. Unfortunately the odrive folder is located in users/admin/documents folder, which i don’t have access to. Shouldn’t the software place the folder in the users/[current-user]/documents folder instead?

Answering my own question:

I got it working now by temporarely giving the user account admin rights during the install.

1. Logout from your user account
  2. Login as admin
  3. Uninstall odrive (in case you have it installed and it doesn’t work)
  4. Give admin rights to your user account
  5. Login as user
  6. Install odrive
  7. Logout
  8. Login as admin
  9. Take admin rights away from user

Hi @ralf,
Thanks for the follow-up. I think what happened here is that you installed with an admin-user’s credentials. After install (which installs in “Program Files” for everyone), odrive will run. At that time it is running as the admin user, so the odrive files are deployed to that user’s profile directory.

To address this, you should actually only have to exit odrive and restart, which will start this time as the currently logged-in user instead of the admin. That will deploy the odrive files to this user’s profile directory and you should be good from there.

Thanks Tony, that makes sense.
So because the installer is running with admin rights, which it has to, it launches odrive as admin.
Thanks for clearing that up.

1 Like