Windows Explorer sort by file type

I am using Windows odrive sync 4851

When a placeholder is used, a “.cloud” extension is added. The “sort” option in the explorer windows only works on the last filename extension. Therefore, everything is considered a “.cloud” type.

Is is possible to use a pink “X” or pink border around the file name icon, etc to indicate the icon/file is a placeholder, and remove the “.cloud” extension? This would allow the explorer window (and hopefully soon linux window) to sort based on file type.

Hi,
Unfortunately Windows bases its open behavior on extension handlers, which are predicated on the file extension (if a file has this extension, open it with this app). If we were to remove the .cloud, Windows wouldn’t know what to do with the file.

I will noodle on this a bit to see if I can come up with any viable workarounds.

Relatedly, on OSX it would be great to be able to sort file placeholders from folder placeholders. They already have different file extensions (.cloud / .cloudf) but they have the same file type of “odrive.app Document” so I can’t sort them separately in Finder.

Subfolders can be hard to find in a million files if they can’t be sorted differently.

@trashrabbitDo you not see this when looking at the files by “kind”?

Nope, files and folders are both “odrive.app Document”. This is OSX 10.10.5.

Can you run this command from the terminal and tell me what it says?
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -dump | grep odrive.app

path:          /Users/dtw/.Trash/odrive.app
path:          /Users/dtw/.odrive/bin/4894/odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive.app
path:          /Applications/odrive.app

I had uninstalled odrive and then installed it again, which might be why the “.Trash” path is there.

Okay let’s try the following commands in the terminal after exiting odrive:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -u -v /Users/dtw/.Trash/odrive.app

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -u -v /Users/dtw/.odrive/bin/4894/odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive.app

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -u -v /Applications/odrive.app

killall Finder

Then restart odrive

After running those commands, odrive files had a type of “Document”. Starting odrive again (v4952) changed it back to “odrive.app Document”.

Files have the right type (“CloudFolder”, etc) on my older mac (osx 10.8) but not this newer mac (osx 10.10.5).

lsregister -dump

path:          /Applications/odrive.app
    path:          /Users/dtw/.odrive/bin/4952/odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive.app

Sadly it seems there is no solution for the original post. I see this as a shortcoming in the odrive implementation. I wish this would work more like the original placeholders in onedrive or the upcoming ones in dropbox where the extensions and icons represent the original file information.

@gerry_m Take a look at this post for a workaround. It isn’t perfect, but it it gets close to what you want.

@trashrabbit This issue fell off my radar. Did you ever get your Finder issue resolved?

I can already sort folders out by selecting the type heading in Windows explorer. .cloudf extensions list separately. What’s really missing is a way to sort all the other files by their true file type. This inability also means I cannot easily open a file by browsing to it from inside an application, e.g open a word doc from inside word, because all the placeholder files are mixed together and don’t even show unless I explicitly select to show all files int the folder. This is a significant feature for me.

1 Like