A lot of this was discussed over in this thread: https://forum.odrive.com/t/timeline-for-new-plans/1829
The gist is that the next major release is still in progress, and has taken much longer to get out than initially anticipated. The project started with the intent of bolting on some new features and correcting some issues. As we dug, however, we realized that we needed to really go deeper to ensure that odrive would be able to grow the way we want it to in the years to come. The scope of work grew much larger than initially anticipated.
The result is that many things have been rebuilt from the ground up, using all of the knowledge we have gained through our previous iterations and factoring in all of the user feedback and use cases.
Some of the highlights to expect in this new iteration:
- Improved sync engine with better resource management and performance
- V2 of Encryption, which is more flexible and customizable
- Reimagined placeholder functionality that will provide a more streamlined and seamless integration to native Explorer/Finder
- "Traditional" backup capabilities
- Advanced sync features that go beyond the current "sync to odrive" feature
- Better traffic management and throttling
- and more
I know folks are anxiously awaiting this stuff, and it is frustrating to have to keep waiting. We are trying to go as fast as we can, and sincerely apologize for the delay in being able to get it out. We also understand if there are users who just can't wait any longer...
As always, thanks for the patience, support, and feedback.