Valid filenames not allowed by OneDrive For Business when encrypted

I have a ~100Mb folder tree in my odrive/Encryptor folder which is syncing to a OneDrive For Business account. I have recently added a new subfolder which refuses to sync - all files in the subfolder are listed as “Not Allowed”:

The filename is not allowed by OneDrive for Business. Please make sure it does not begin or end with a space, end with a period, or include any of these characters: / \ * < > ? : | # & + %

The source filenames comply with the above so I suspect the encrypt filenames do not causing the sync to fail?

Update: Actually it looks like I can’t add ANY new files to that Encryptor/OneDrive For Business folder…

Dan

Hi @dan.odrive,
Can you send a diagnostic from the odrive menu so I can take a closer look?

Certainly - done.
Dan

Hi @dan.odrive,
Apologies for the trouble. I think what you are running into here is the total path length limitation that OneDrive has (around 400 characters for the entire path). Since encryption encrypts the name of the files and folders too, for total security, the path can start to get quite long (in terms of characters) as you traverse down through a path. If you navigate into the encrypted folder in your OneDrive link within the odrive web client, you can see how the path actually looks, as encrypted.

If you shorten the file name, or add these files into a folder closer to the root of the Encryptor folder, you should be able to upload them.

We should modify the error message to account for this path length limitation, too.