Unsync and Delete odrive - All Files Are .Cloud

Thanks Tony for extending the trial. How do I download all of the files back into place? Is there a feature for that?

Also, do I “sync to drive” connecting the folder on my desktop to the folder in my Amazon cloud. For Instance I had a “Desktop” folder in my Trevor Backup in Amazon Drive. Should I be syncing my desktop folder on my computer to that folder again or will that screw things up?

Hi @trevornace,
Yes you would connect them the exact same way you did before, making sure you are mapping the folders with the exact name in the cloud. Once that is done, you can right-click->sync on the folder, slide the slider all the way to the right, and check “include subfolders”.

Can you tell me where I find “sync on the folder?” I right clicked on the folder and said “sync to odrive” From there I mapped it to the same folder as before. Now the files are opening up correctly on my desktop and not giving the “This file is not inside an odrive folder” error. Now, I believe the only thing left is to re-download all of the files back onto my computer as they still show up as .cloud files until I open them.

How do I go about downloading all the files back onto my computer instead of the .cloud files.

For some reason odrive didn’t replace any of the files with .cloud aliases on my wife’s computer. Is there a way to set it to not replace anything with .cloud files? Just to make a mirror copy of your computer? I was happy with odrive before it started replacing all my files with .cloud files and then the link broke and I could no longer open any of my documents.

You should be able to right-click on the folder you want to sync (the Desktop folder you just re-created the "sync to odrive relationship on?) and select “sync”.

See this section of the usage guide for more details: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/sync-your-odrive#section--sync-all-files-and-subfolders-

For the unsyncing, odrive will not unsync files unless specified to do so, either through a right-click->unsync action or via the auto-unsync feature. Often folks will set auto-unsync without understanding/realizing the implications.
More info on that here: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/manage-disk-space#section-configure-auto-unsync

That is perfect, It’s now synced or re-downloaded all files back onto my computer but still has a copy on Amazon Drive. Now that it’s setup how I want it, will it continue doing this after the trial runs out or do I need to pay for premium to continue using it like this? i.e. with folders synced to my Amazon Drive but still as physical files on my computer instead of .cloud files?

Hi @trevornace,
Both “sync to odrive” and unsync are premium features. If you wanted to continue using the “sync to odrive” feature, as you are now, you would need to subscribe. We do offer a 30-day guarantee, so that you can get a full, immediate refund, no-questions-asked, if you decide odrive isn’t right for you within 30 days of purchasing Premium.

For lots more information about Free vs Premium, take a look at this thread here: What is free vs paid (premium)?

I have exactly the same problem, Please will you reinstate my trial so I can get my images back!

Hi @jenny.cottingham,
The accounts team extended your trial for a few more days. You will need to recreate the “sync to odrive” folders and then you can download the data.

Thank you.
I am totally confused, and my files are now a real mess. Other than here I dont know how to contact you. I don’t have fast download and I don’t understand why so many of my files have disappeared

Hi @jenny.cottingham,
I am not clear on exactly what you are seeing, however, if you have .cloud files that means they will still be in the remote storage you were using. At the very least you can retrieve the files you need from your remote storage.

I believe you are using Amazon Drive for your remote storage, correct? Can you check on the Amazon Drive web client to verify the files you are looking for are there? https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive

Hi. The files are there. I have really slow internet so downloading is a nightmare. However, its the fact that in each of my original folders I have the place markers for the files. If I sync it puts the downloaded file in the odrive folder. I then have to copy them back to my original folders and when I do that I am left with the place markers still in my original folders. I do not want to do a search and delete of all .cloud files, as I am not confident that everything is back, as they are still downloading and will take days if not weeks to all be in the odrive folder.

Hi @jenny.cottingham,
The method you are using will work (downloading in the odrive folder and then copying). It may take a while, but you can do this even without the premium features with a free odrive account.

With Premium features, which you have during the trial, you can setup “sync to odrive” folder to map local folders to remote folders. It sounds like this is what you did originally. You can set-up these folders again, which will map the folder directly, and then sync the files down that way too, although that feature will stop working once the trial period expires. More on that here: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/manage-sync#section-sync-external-folders

The method you are using now, although slow, may be the best option because it is straightforward and clear. You don’t have to worry about deleting the old placeholders that are no longer inside odrive folders. They were just representations of what is in the cloud, and you are already in the process of downloading that data and copying it over.

I keep getting the message This file is not inside an odrive folder… even though its downloaded and sitting in the odrive folder… having to wait then copy and paste every one

Hi @jenny.cottingham,
Can you send a diagnostic from the odrive menu so we can take a closer look? Can you also take a screenshot of what you are seeing (the folder listing with the error message)?

Hi @jenny.cottingham,
I didn’t see a diagnostic from you, so I can’t tell exactly how you have things setup, but here’s what it looks like to me:

• You previously has setup a “sync to odrive” folder at I:\Photos pointing to Amazon Cloud Drive\Photos. This relationship was removed when the Premium trial ran out.
  • If you setup a “sync to odrive” folder like that, again, it should be able to sync again. However, once you create that relationship again, it could take a while for odrive to scan through all of the files. Tis means, while it is scanning you could still see the message about “not inside an odrive folder”, because odrive hasn’t gotten to that folder yet.

To create the “sync to odrive” folder you want to right-click on I:\Photos and select “sync to odrive”. You would then set t he destination folder as Amazon Cloud Drive\Photos. If you’ve already done this then it could be that odrive is still scanning your files. If so, please send a diagnostic from the odrive menu.

Thank you. Ive given up. I am using the amazon app to download again. It will take a week or so. When that is complete I will remove odrive completely. I have seen a couple of posts showing how to completely remove, please can you advise which I should follow and confirm it will not reverse anything or delete anything.

Hi @jenny.cottingham,
On windows you can just use the normal uninstall method. This will remove the software and rename the odrive folder. None of your data will be deleted.