Trash notifications

Version 5085 brought a new bit of behavior. When a file is deleted from an odrive folder, a popup shows letting one know that the deleted files will still be present until the trash is deleted. Useful, perhaps, the first time. Annoying as can be the tenth time in several minutes. Please, please make this notification go away!

2 Likes

Hi @EthanH ,
We added this to let people know how trash is being managed (or not being managed). Many people have complained about forgetting that files go into the trash and they need to empty it, so this is intended to help with that, as well.

You can turn off the notification through windows, or just remove the sound on the notification. You can also set auto empty trash to “Immediately” so that it does not create any notifications.

1 Like

Yeah I understand why they did this because when I started using I odrive, I could not figure out why files I deleted was still available in the cloud. That notification would have save me a lot of heart ache in trying to figure out how the odrive trash system works. I think this is useful for new users.

I agree wholeheartedly. There should be an option to turn it off, however, without resorting to disabling all odrive notifications at the system level

1 Like

These notifications are a nightmare, please let me turn them off!

I am constantly deleting/moving/updating files in collaboration with other users over Dropbox and this is driving me insane.

I still want the notifications for my other links though! So yet again I ask for per-link settings which are only on the link-setup webpage. That makes them hidden for general basic users and available for advanced users.

I do not see where the notifications can be turned off in windows. Can you be more specific Tony. Thanks

It may vary slightly with Windows versions, but you should be able to get to it from the Control Panel -> Appearance (and Personalization) -> Taskbar and Navigation -> Click on the “Customize” for “Notification Area:”

Bear in mind you can either have all notifications on for an app, or completely off - there’s no way (within Windows itself) to say “I don’t want the trash notifications, but I still want the others”.

1 Like

I would love to be able to toggle that off as it catches my eye every time I delete a file, interrupting my focus on my work

Please see the below responses for a couple of work-arounds. Right now there isn’t a way to turn this off within the app, but we understand the request.

Dear @Tony, I wish to bump this request. First time oDrive user, and immediately found it annoying and I know my clients will too. However, I still want to be notified when something major is happening (like unable to connect). I’ve disabled the notifications in the Windows 10 settings, but this will disable all notifications for the app, as was mentioned by @EthanH.

+1 from me too. This notification is very annoying. I have a particularly active directory in odrive and the notification pops up several times an hour when I’m working on this particular project. I’ve disabled the sound of the notification for now.

A further issue: I disable it in the windows 10 options, but it re-enables its own notifications no matter how often I disable it. Ridiculous. Why would anyone think this was useful?

We are currently re-working our Windows UI, so I will speak to the team about this.

Is there any update on this? I constantly get spammed with these trash notifications. This is the one sore spot I have with odrive.

For those who say “just disable the notifications” …

Why are there 8 of these entries??? And more just keep showing up… I turn it off, and more appear.

This continues to be a pain point - I turn off notifications and they just keep coming back, 2 years later.

These notifications are night mare.

We are planning on having an advanced config option in the next version that will allow disabling new trash item notifications.

There is a new option called suppressTrashNotifications and is in the odrive_user_general_conf.txt file in the root of the odrive folder.

To turn off the trash notifications:

• Open the odrive_user_general_conf.txt (You should be able to just double-click the file to open it)
  • Change false to true for that setting.
  • Save the file
  • Restart odrive

If you do not see the option, delete the existing odrive_user_general_conf.txt file, restart odrive, and a new one will be created on odrive startup which should have the parameter.

This odrive_user_general_conf.txt is great! besides supressing ConflictNotification, TrashNotifications and UrgentNotifications, how can I supress “Waiting” notification?