Throttling isn't working & downloading

I’ve turned on throttling but my downloads continue to draw 90-105 megabits per task manager. What could I be doing wrong?

Hi @daveb,
We have seen that our currently implementation of throttling can be somewhat ineffective on faster connections, unfortunately.

Are you currently performing a bulk download?
How much data are you needing to download?

Can you send a diagnostic from the odrive menu?

I’m downloading hundreds of gigabytes as Amazon is ending the unlimited. I sent the diagnostic as requested.

Thanks for being honest in the answer. I’ll probably live with the problem because I’ve come to know the software.

Hi @daveb,
We may be able to scale down things a bit using a scripted method of download, where we limit downloads to a couple at a time, although this may end up being too slow, especially if you are up against the clock.

To do this follow these steps:

Open up a command prompt by clicking on the Windows icon in the taskbar, typing “cmd”, and then clicking on “Command Prompt”.

Once the command prompt is open, copy and paste the following command in (all one line) and hit enter. This will install the CLI for us to use in the next command:

powershell -command "& {$comm_bin=\"$HOME\.odrive\common\bin\";$o_cli_bin=\"$comm_bin\odrive.exe\";(New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile(\"https://dl.odrive.com/odrivecli-win\", \"$comm_bin\oc.zip\");$shl=new-object -com shell.application; $shl.namespace(\"$comm_bin\").copyhere($shl.namespace(\"$comm_bin\oc.zip\").items(),0x10);del \"$comm_bin\oc.zip\";}"

Once the CLI is finished installing (it could take a minute or two), copy and paste this next command to perform a recursive sync of a folder. This command will download one file at a time until everything is downloaded. This is another long one-liner, so make sure you copy the whole thing:

powershell -command "& {$syncpath=\"$HOME\odrive\[Folder to Sync Here]\";$syncbin=\"$HOME\.odrive\common\bin\odrive.exe\";while ((Get-ChildItem $syncpath -Filter \"*.cloud*\" -Recurse | Measure-Object).Count){Get-ChildItem -Path \"$syncpath\" -Filter \"*.cloud*\" -Recurse | % { & \"$syncbin\" \"sync\" \"$($_.FullName)\";}}}"

For the above command, be sure you replace [Folder to Sync Here] with the folder you want to recursively sync (Amazon Cloud Drive, for example)

You can actually run multiple instances of this script to create parallelism by just opening additional cmd prompts and pasting the command in. You may see some messages about files not longer being available, and this is just because another script instance got to it first, but its not a problem. You can essentially “ramp up” or “ramp down” the download speed in this manner, at least to a certain extent.