The odrive desktop client will no longer support OS X Mavericks 10.9 and below

Hi Mac Users,

We wanted to let you folks know that, with the release of MacOS Sierra, we will be dropping odrive desktop support for OS X Mavericks 10.9 and earlier.

There are a few reasons for this, but the largest is that we want to ensure, going forward, that we are working 100% within Apple’s desktop application guidelines. Unfortunately, Apple never made Finder extension integrations available in OS X versions prior to OS X Yosemite 10.10. This meant 3rd parties that wanted to provide user-friendly context menus and icon overlays in Finder had to resort to what I’ve previously referred to as “black magic”. Although it worked, and it was very helpful, it is not considered best practice for integration and is frowned upon by Apple.

We are truly sorry for any inconvenience this may cause folks still on Mavericks and below. The odrive desktop application will still run, for now, but the native Finder integration will no longer be available in these versions.

If at all possible, please upgrade to OS X 10.10 Yosemite or higher before Sierra’s release on 09-20-2016 to maintain use of the odrive Finder extensions.

Thanks for your understanding.

6 Likes

I wanted to clarify that odrive will still run on 10.7 - 10.9, but it will be missing the context menus and overlays.

For those interested, I created a few (“unofficial”) simple service scripts this morning that can be added to Finder to allow right-click sync, unsync, refresh, and status for these older versions of OS X, using the CLI underneath. Definitely not as nice as the native Finder integration context menus, but it is an OS X supported way to add right-click menu options to Finder. I did these quick, so there is room for improvement and enhancement, but they work. :slight_smile:

Unzip, double-click on the workflow file, and choose “Install”.