Taskbar icon gets deleted on every release update - Win 10

Hello

I am on Windows 10.

Because I want to see when Odrive is syncing or not or also have quicker access to the Trash, I always put the Odrive icon in the Taskbar to make it always visible.

Now every time there is a desktop release and an update, the taskbar icon gets deleted and a new Odrive icon replaces it but it puts it back in the ^ pop window area (the default area). So every time I need to
adjust the settings and make it so the Odrive icon is always visible on Taskbar. That is a bug and it should not happen but it is not critical so I can live with it.

What is more critical is that now I have 3 Icons (2 from the previous 2 builds) in the Settings window “Select which icons appear on the taskbar”. The 2 from the previous 2 builds can not be deleted from the
Settings window. That means, after say 10 updates, I will have 10 icon in the settings windows which can not be deleted. Turning the old icons on or off does not do anything. Now this is a more serious bug and
this should need to be fixed as soon as possible.

The only way I know how to remove these old icons from previous builds is to reset the device and that is something I hope you want expect me to do just to remove Odrive icons.

Regards

Hi @maccra,
I took a look at this. This appears to be happening because, when odrive is update, it creates a new binary folder, with a different name than the old one. When you promote the icon to be always visible, it seems to store the path. When the old version of odrive is removed, Windows does not clean this up, and the entry remains.

I messed around a bit and was able to get Windows to reset the settings with this command:

powershell -command "& { rp -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -Path \"HKCU:\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify\" -Name \"IconStreams\";kill -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -n explorer;}"

This removes a registry entry (which then gets recreated) and restarts Explorer. The only downside to this is that you need to setup the icons you want visible again… :disappointed:

It does do the trick though, at least on my system. Let me know if it works for you, if you want to try it.

Hi @Tony,

It does not seem to appear to work. I still have a icon left over. I am getting this error with the powershell command

The string is missing the terminator: ".
+ CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:slight_smile: [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : TerminatorExpectedAtEndOfString

Is that normal?

Hi,
Make sure you run it in a regular cmd window instead of powershell. I wrote it to be copy and pastable in the regular command prompt.

That worked.

Thanks. It appears I had other left icon from other programs and it cleared everything out. I need to keep this for future use.

Many Thanks

1 Like