Split files back to one?

I had odrive set to split large files. I have changed that to Never.

What is the best/fastest way to re-assemble the split files?

1 Like

If you already have the “whole” file local then just make a copy of it and it will be uploaded as such. If the file is now a placeholder, sync it down with odrive, then make a copy and have it upload.

1 Like

Thanks for your help.

Very pissed off! Odrive needs to include a warning telling user’s that it will be a MAJOR PAIN IN THE Effin A$$ to remerge all the split files. Very pissed off after uploading hundreds of gigs of video files into Amazon Cloud Drive only to find out that there is no way to efficiently make the files whole again, and said files are useless an unusable in the split form. the only way to use the files is to download them through the odrive client. (all the files are un-usable outside the odrive client) Super pissed

2 Likes

Hi @lodotek,
I’m sorry you feel this way. Our intention was to make uploading large files easier. We believe that IFS does this well. It has helped a lot of people who were having issues with large files get their data into the cloud.

Can you tell me your use case and what you want to do with these large files that requires them to be in their native format in Amazon Drive?

As for making the files whole, it is actually quite easy to merge the files and takes no additional effort to do so when using odrive. You simply have to download them. odrive does the reassembly for you, transparently.

1 Like

Hey @lodtek

Large file splitting is OFF by default. We will include a message/warning in future versions when the feature is enabled.

Was your intention to only use odrive to upload? Accessing the split file from odrive is transparent.

One last question, were you experiencing problems uploading without splitting? I would like to better understand why you enabled it and what expectations you had for the feature. That will help us improve the experience.

thanks
-peter

1 Like

Yes, my use case was to allow me to review video footage using amazon cloud drive’s mobile app and web apps, then I can rename the file to something meaningful for later use in a video editing project. Because I did not know that the video files would then become un-playable from the cloud drive (because the videos are all split into pieces that are not playable as is) I only discovered the issue after already uploading hundreds of gigs worth of video files. Now I am having to waste shitloads of bandwidth re-uploading the same video files, this time with splitting disabled, then afterwards I have to go an manually delete the source file and sync the deletes to get the folders with the split videos / metata data to go away…

Any possible way to reassemble all the videos on my cloud drive without re-uploading them? You guys really need to make a disclaimer pop up with this feature!

Good to hear a disclaimer will be included in the future. My intention was to use odrive for all the features it provides, especially with regards to amazon cloud drive since they do not have a sync feature. Regarding the splitting feature, I tried using the feature because Amazon cloud drive would not play back video files larger than 2GB (or maybe 1 GB , I don’t remember exactly) And I am not sure why I thought it would actually be able to split video files into multiple smaller ones but make each of them actually still remain playable) Perhaps I thought maybe it would just change the uploading technique to be more like how it is done on P2P networks, where chunks of the files get uploaded, but I thought that the files would be re-assembled on the cloud drive once uploaded, not left in a bunch of pieces.

Hi @lodotek,
Thanks for the feedback.

As you’ve seen, Amazon limits video streaming to 2GB or 20 minutes, whichever is hit first. This is actually why we offer the 2GB splitting option. When you select this option, only files larger than 2GB will be split so you lose no flexibility (since video streaming is not possible anyway).

Unfortunately there is no way to reassemble directly in the cloud, so downloading and re-uploading is the right method.

Are you able to at least limit your re-uploads to files less than 2GB in size? Hopefully that can scale down the task.

By the way, if you want to learn a little bit more about IFS, you can check out our blog post about it here:
https://medium.odrive.com/cloud-upload-was-a-struggle-until-today-bb267cb5566e

1 Like

I uploaded a 6GB file that I need to share with someone. But when I send them the link, they just get a folder full of gibberish. How do they download the split files using the share link and re-assemble them back into the original?

1 Like

We would like to offer a way to do this via our web client for shared links, in the future, but currently you would need the odrive client to automatically assemble the IFS file.

You can create a space with your shared IFS file, and the user can then access it with the odrive client, transparently:

1 Like

Hi, I have another scenario.

I set my IFS to 500 mb, but now I’d like to have it at 2GB or just off. Since, all my files are on my local drive already, how do I get odrive to start re-uploading to amazon drive and remove just the previously split files? I don’t want to remove remove anything from my local drive just yet?

Hi @thetse
There isn’t a way for odrive to do this automatically. You can set IFS to 2GB, or off, and then you would need to make a copy of the file. The new copy would upload as a new file and then the old file could be deleted, if you wish.

Do you mean re-copy the file? These are very large files though and I will not have enough space. Is there a way I can run a script to update the last modified date to trigger the sync to reoccur on the file? What does Odrive look for to sync?

If I deleted the file in Amazon drive would it delete it from my hard disk?

Thanks

I know this is an old thread. However, there should be a warning label. I’m very angry too, as I counted on odrive to let me know if the files it uploaded were going to be usable to any other system other than one powered by odrive. I recently started trying ExpanDrive for something different. However, I wanted to test its out using videos - come to find out that all of the “split” files are just folders that odrive puts back together itself.

I find the lack of a warning that says - “Split files will only be recombined after being downloaded to the local system. The copy stored in the cloud will be split for applications other than odrive.” Now I have about 250Gigs of data to download and reupload.

I was seriously considering buying a subscription to odrive for some of its extended features. I’ll spend twice or thrice as much elsewhere to go with a company that seems to have someone around before features go out to ask - “Hey, um, did we do a good job on the interface here, warnings, explanations, etc…?” This is the third time odrive has made a chance without adequate documentation on what that change actually does in practice.

No log files for trouble shooting on ones own.
No live trouble shooting (reason #1 for not paying for it).
Complete lack of documentation.
Complete lack of the ability to not show features you cannot get without paying.
Really, really, opaque user interface (no extended status report screen for large uploads, no window to put all settings in one place, no way to way to see errors encountered when uploading, no error counts when uploading large files - how many times did it fail, why did it fail) all of these things are things that the kind of user who even looks for your product wants to get at. You don’t serve a user base of novices, if you’re even considering installing this software, you’re not a novice.

I’m sorry, I really am. You have some amazing engineers there but spend some of the money you’re making on hiring some PR people, Marketing people, and technical writers. You could make your product sing! I’m sorry that you haven’t yet, I hope you do.

2 Likes

Hi @titanshadow,
Thanks for the feedback.

I am sorry to hear that “split files” (IFS) didn’t provide the functionality you were expecting. You mentioned the lack of documentation, but we have a comprehensive usage guide available here: https://docs.odrive.com . You can get to the usage guide from the odrive tray menu under “Usage guide”.

Here is the section on IFS: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/manage-sync#section-upload-large-files-ifs-split-large-files-

There is also a blog post, referenced in the usage guide, that goes over the nitty gritty details of IFS:
https://medium.odrive.com/cloud-upload-was-a-struggle-until-today-bb267cb5566e

I will add some additional language to the guide to try to make it more clear, from the outset, as well as see what can be done in-app.

For the other items you mentioned, we are in the process of overhauling odrive to give more visibility into what is happening, including offering user-side logging and improved UI feedback.

Again, my apologies for the inconvenience. Since Amazon Drive does not offer the ability to resume their uploads, our intention is to help users be able to upload large files, where they otherwise would not be able to. The splitting of the files on the remote storage is necessary for this. Once Amazon Drive offers an upload resume API we will be adding that to our integration to obviate the need for IFS, unless you want to upload a file larger than 50GB.

2 Likes

Will these new features, such as user-side logging and improved UI be only available to Pro members?

1 Like

Those features will be available in all versions.

1 Like

Luckily I found this thread before uploading too many of my large files. If I’m anything like a typical users, I assumed this “split” feature did so for the upload phase only, reassembling once all parts arrived. A warning is certainly warranted.

2 Likes