Restoring files to Windows PC

o shit i see it now u r right

1 Like

Hey @TommyMapp,
In order for odrive to delete anything on the cloud, it needs to see it as deleted locally and then the odrive trash needs to be emptied to send those deletes to the cloud storage. This can only happen if you are 1. logged-in to odrive (it sounds like you arenā€™t), 2. The odrive folder is properly configured (itā€™s not) 3. There are items inside of a link folder (inside the Amazon Drive folder, for example) that have been deleted locally (canā€™t happen without 1 and 2). 4. The deleted items are picked-up by odrive 5. You explicitly choose to empty the odrive trash from the odrive tray menu

Uninstalls will also rename the current odrive folder to a backup folder (it will never delete the odrive folder). It deletes the .odrive folder, but there isnā€™t any data in there that you need or care about.

Well, thank you for the Trust.
Iā€™m back but windows 10 decided to install updates, unceremoniously and i got the dreaded screen of windows is blah blah blah do not turn off your computerā€¦
so Iā€™m syncing now but something does not seem right everything is running slowly. probably from downloading feature packs that i thought were already installed.
I hate windows 10 :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

but im curious as to what happened to my C drive space. Last night I synced and watched the drive stats climb, as it was loading (syncing?) about 40gb from my 2 clouds. well now that the files are not there, why does my drive look the same after they now files are not there? do i need to get that space back somehow?

Iā€™m afraid I have too much syncing going on for my not so new computer.
could it be that i have some kind of recursive syncing situation going on?

Also why did i not have to authorize my amazon and google accounts?
the odrive setup also seemed different and kind of left he hanging in the tutorialā€¦
something seems jacked up round my pc. Iā€™m kind of confused but still trying!
thanks for all your time and patience
Tommy

Hi @TommyMapp,
The storage will likely be in the odrive backup folder(s) that were retained when you were moving the odrive folder. In your previous screenshot there was an odrivebackup-2023ā€¦" folder. See what the size of that folder is.

The sluggishness is likely Windows updates, like you said. They can grind your system to a halt.

Yep, You are right. what to do? i still have 500 gb free so i can keep it for now if it can help me later

41 GB on the left windowā€¦ hard to read i know
PS why do they look like sync drives?
am I storing these in my CLOUD ?! that might put me over quota!

I think Iā€™m double clouding! Look at my file hierarchy

Hi @TommyMapp,
These are just the backup folders that odrive makes if you move your odrive folder or uninstall. odrive doesnā€™t delete your localy synced data, as a precaution, so it is left as a backup. These backup folders are no longer connected to the cloud, in any way. They merely contain the files you previously download to your local computer.

Since you are going through the download process again in the new odrive folder, you can likely delete these backup folders as they will be redundant with the files you are currently downloading.

There is a desktop.ini file that is put inside the odrive folder to tell windows to add the odrive icon to it. Thatā€™s why it looks like that.

Tony. Is there ANY possible way for me to restore my original file structure
abandon this install and start over from scratch with a new installation?

This is just getting worse. Please tell me that Iā€™m not going crazy

I honestly think that I am syncing already google synced and amazon synced drives back to themselves with odrive
please correct me if this is impossible!

And my windows system is going to force me to reinstall a bunch of paks and updates that were already successfully installed.

Hi @TommyMapp,

What makes you think this?

You can see exactly what odrive is doing by looking at the sync activity log:
sync activity log

If you want to also send a diagnostic, I can take a look too. Just let me know when you send it

I am not sure what you mean here. Maybe you can take a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Hi @TommyMapp,
Iā€™m just checking-in to make sure you are on the right path now. Did you have any other questions or need clarification on anything?

Hi Tony,
I have been playing with the software more, and I am even more impressed.

i now appreciate the folder structure odrive, something that seems to get convoluted in amazon photos.

I am on back track! we can close this thread, but I will open another one when I need more help. i am still working cleaning up my modest, yet convoluted digital photo library. :confounded:
thank you. you are an asset to odrive and this community.

Not really sure what to check as soultion, you cleared up many things!

1 Like

Hey @TommyMapp,
Thanks for the follow-up! I was concerned based on your previous post, but is sounds like youā€™ve got things dialed-in.

Just let me know if anything comes-up.