Restored from Time Machine Backup, odrive empty

Hi, I’m having some altogether new issues with with a Mac which I just restored from Time Machine because the SSD failed. Along with other cloud-synchronized files which I already have backed up on another local host, I didn’t both including odrive with the Time Machine backup. My original plan was to simply copy the sync’d directories from a local computer to avoid having to download my entire repository from all of my cloud providers.
However, the odrive folder is completely empty. I also attempted to reinstall odirve, even though the app was running and apparently operational on the menu bar, but while it restore the odrive logo to ordive folder, the folder remains empty. After restarting odrive and reinstalling, I am not sure what to do at this point.

Again, the plan was to copy the odrive sync’d folders from a local machine and then resync it to a folder in odrive so they’re synced again without having to haul all the data over the internet again, but at this point I don’t even see the shares at all in the odirve folder! Therefore, I don’t have a lot of faith that odrive is working at all so once again I’m at a standstill.

Please advise.

I should have reviewed the forums where someone had a similar situation and did a de-authorization and then re-authorization and now odrive is populated with the placeholders as expected.

I am going to proceed to perform an rsync with a local machine so that I can get the latest versions of the cloud sync’d folders without having to pull them remotely.

It also looks like since I restored, that odd problem where folders outside of odrive not longer had the odrive commands (like “Sync”, for starters) so that’s a plus. That should make syncing my local copies of the folders which are already fully synced (once odrive verifies they are all the same files of course) but I have one thing to confirm-

When I have a complete copy of an entire cloud store, like a Google Drive for instance on my local filesystem, when I command odrive to sync to the matching cloud share in odrive, as long as that top level share folder name matches the local copy, it will verify the files are in sync and maintain the sync… not make a copy of the folder inside that share?

For example, say the top level folder of my Google Drive as it appears in the odrive folder is called “I_Hate_Sand”. From this new computer which lacks the cloud syncd folders, I then rsync the same folder from another machine on my LAN that also has a synced copy of “I_Hate_Sand” using rsync in archive mode therefore preserving all file properties, such as permissions, ownership, last modified date, etc… Once this copy of the folder “I_Hate_Sand” is complete so there is a local version of the same folder on the new computer, just static, unlinked, and unsynced , it’s now ostensibly the same folder “I_Hate_Sand” as it appears on both on that other computer which I copied it from, as well as what’s in Google Drive form the top level down, and it bears the same name in ordrive s list of shares as “I_Hate_Sand”. Then, in order to sync the static version of “I_Hate_Sand” with the Google Drive which is called “I_Hate_Sand” in odrive’s list of shares, I select “Sync to odrive” command in Finder in the context of that local copy of “I_Hate_Sand” so that it will sync with odrive to the location “/I_Hate_Sand” as the “Storage Location” in the odrive Web GUI, will odrive smartly see that it is the same folder and then traverse the file hierarchy, syncing any discrepancies (which there shouldn’t be, assuming no changes were made during this process) and therefore avoid any needless copying over the internet- just ensuring the files are in fact all the sync and will then keep them in sync going forward? Or Will it dumbly create a new folder on Google Drive called “/I_Hate_Sand/I_Hate_Sand” and proceed to upload the entire contents of the folder to Google Drive, effectively duplicating the entire file hierarchy? Asking for a friend.

Sorry for the painfully explicit language, but I don’t want there to be any confusion about what I am trying to do.

Thanks,

@Tony I thought that odrive was “stupid” and made /I_Hate_Sand/I_Hate_Sand/ until I realized I had an slight name difference. Now that they are identical it seems to be working! Hooray!

Hi @DarfNader,
I didn’t see this post until this morning, but it looks like you got everything sorted out.

As you saw, if the folders are named the exact same name then they should merge appropriately, but it can be easy to hit an error with a slight name difference. I’ve done this myself.

I think this is the post you were referring to for a Time Machine backup, so I will link it here in case anyone else hits this:

Great to hear! That was definitely one that hd me scratching my head.

Thanks @Tony.

One more follow up. Since I’ve gotten everything back in sync, Finder has been burning 100% of a cpu core since the moment that I set up the folder sync which had completed over 10 hours ago. I would have expected any load on Finder to have settled but it seems persistent on just doing something very intensely, but honestly I have no idea what.

I am a little skittish to do a force quit on Finder which is what I’d normally do in this case, but since odrive and Finder would appear to be tightly coupledm this cpu grab is clearly the result of my syncing my folders up, and since I have already had many issues already, I am not particularly comfortable with the idea of doing this, especially since I just got things repaired. I’m going to put the machine asleep for now, and while I suspect the safest answer is to reboot, I don’t want to live like this going forward. How careful do you think I need to be with it? Any other suggestions on how to safely arrest this behavior? Being that I just rebuilt this computer, I’d rather not have it limping already so if you have any suggestions I’d appreciate them.
Thanks again,
-M

Hi @DarfNader,
If it is Finder, itself, that is chewing up CPU then that is unusual as it relates to odrive.

You could try toggling the odrive Finder extension and see if it makes any difference. A restart of Finder shouldn’t affect odrive since its only interaction with Finder, directly, is via the Finder extension. odrive’s main interaction is with the underlying file system, which is independent of Finder.

It was peculiar… it continued to run after waking the machine up hours later. I had to eventually kill it and it seemed okay.

As I said, it corresponded to the syncing the folder in the manner that I described above. I suppose it could be a coincidence, but my gut says otherwise. Anyway, it sounds like this a non-starter whether it does or doesn’t have anything to do with odrive.

Thanks.

1 Like