Option to hide linked storage accounts and/or folders

Hello devs,

For multiple installations with the same odrive account (e.g. home PC and office PC), I would like the ability to toggle hiding of selected storage accounts and/or folders per installation.

For example: for my office PC, I don’t want personal files readily available to whomever has access to my PC.

If this feature is possible to implement, would it also be possible to require a login or a password prompt to allow the change? Otherwise, it would be easy enough for a person to find the option and toggle the folder back on.

Thanks for reading.

4 Likes

What if you could right-click “password lock” any placeholder folder? odrive would require a password to convert that placeholder into a folder with content.

1 Like

Sure, that would be great!

Would it make sense to have all locked folders use the same password to unlock and be tied to the Odrive account password? When a user right-clicks a placeholder to Sync a Locked folder, they would be prompted for their Odrive password? Otherwise using a separate password for each locked folder might quickly get confusing.

Also, it would be great if there was a right-click option on the Odrive notification icon to hide entire storage accounts. This doesn’t have to be password gated (but better if it is done in the same manner as locked folders if technically feasible I think?)

1 Like

Thats a cool idea guys! @peter and @glenreno

For now, as a workaround, you could use the hide file/folder function in your operative system.

If you’re using Windows, for example, it’s easy. Just double-click on the folder > Properties > Hidden.

Might not be as safe as password-protected but it’s something.

1 Like

Hi Tony

One feature that I have not read about and would like to highly recommend and as a developer hope/believe should not be too hard to implement …

allow a user to turn individual accounts on/off on each device/computer. So if I have 10 linked accounts I can switch on 3 of them on one device and the other 7 will be entirely GONE from that device, no placeholders, no activity, no nothing.

I do look forward to your features going beyond the current “sync to odrive” and have high hopes that these will differentiate odrive from all other sync clients.

The mere fact that odrive is a replacement for individual proprietary sync client means that its users are already more advanced and expect advanced features.

Looking forward.

Hi @anon76823793,
I moved your suggestion over to this thread for proper context and tracking.

1 Like

Thanks Tony.

Any hints if there is any functionality aming at this kind of requirement coming in the next major release?

Completely switching off a linked account would prevent odrvie from having to keep track of that account on a specific device, thus saving processing, bandwidth and in the case of AWS access requests etc.

We have talked about locking as a way to facilitate this, and this is planned. Essentially a placeholder that you can’t access without a password/pin.

Would that satisfy your requirement?

Thanks Tony, that would possibly server the purpose, but a total “Switch Off” setting per linked account on a device would still help keep things de-cluttered and clean, rather than having something there and locked that should not be there at all. 1/2 a dozen or 6 of the other.I suppose.

1 Like

Has anything more been done to address this issue? It’s probably my biggest hangup with Odrive. I use my account for work & as a personal family backup. My employees have access to my work machine. They don’t need to be accessing my family photos. On the flip side my family doesn’t need to access my work accounts.

I currently have the primary sync folder buried to minimize the likelihood of linked accounts being tampered with & map the accounts to folders outside of the odrive folder. I don’t like the idea of access where access isn’t required. It just increases the likelihood of something bad happening to my data.

I’ve seen the idea of password protected folders being used as a possible solution to this problem. I think there is a place for a feature like that but its not the most elegant solution for this issue. Why clutter up the interface with accounts nobody is going to use? A better solution would be to allow the owner of the odrive account to select which cloud services to sync on a machine by machine basis. The odrive client could request credentials before allowing changes to account service selections.

Hi @joeargyle,
This feature hasn’t gotten much interest or traction, so it is likely not going to be added in the foreseeable future.

As a possible option, you could use the custom filtering we have available to have odrive ignore some of your links on specific systems. This would not be “secure”, since it is just a configuration setting, but it could be useful for folks that want an easy way to exclude links from certain systems.

For example, if I wanted to exclude a couple of links on my current system I can add the following into the odrive_user_premium_conf.txt file in the root of the odrive folder.

"blackListNames": [
        "Dropbox (Personal)", 
        "Google Drive (Personal)",
        "Google Drive (Family)"
    ], 

Once you save the file, odrive will ignore those items and then you can delete the corresponding placeholders for the links, which will remove them from view for that specific client.

Thank you, it’s a reasonable solution. The only drawback I see (aside from exposed config files) is if a new service is added to the account it will still show up on all connected machines. This would expose data until the config file was updated.

Probably not worth the hassle but for users like myself the option to override the blacklist with a white list would be a safer option. For example, the app would recognized “whiteListNames” being added to the config file & that would prevent connected services from showing unless they were specifically added to the list.

1 Like