Odrive Windows App randomly takes 40% of my CPU for no apparent reason

Hello,
Recently I have noticed that Odrive has been hogging 42% of my CPU when there is nothing to upload or download. It runs with 42% for quite a long time. I have a Surface Pro 4 and my PC has become so hot a few times that it has shut down to cool off.
What’s going on? Why is Odrive taking so much CPU? I have an I7-6650U CPU @ 2.20GHZ.
Thanks,

Hi @brandonkeithbiggs,
Are you able to send a diagnostic from the odrive menu when you notice this CPU spike? I can take a look.

How long does it usually spike for?

I sent a diagnostic yesterday right before I made the thread. I think it lasts around 2 hours.
Thanks,

Hi @brandonkeithbiggs,
Thanks, I found it and took a look.

It looks like there are a few things synced and linked that may be causing a lot of background activity. I haven’t looked at everything, but here are a few things that immediately stand out:

• The folder “brandonkeithbiggs_files/programming” has thousands of folders in it that are being actively monitored. It also looks like the content in here may be changing frequently. This can cause lots of overhead, especially when odrive actively scans the content to make sure there have been no changes on the remote side of things.

• This link “a2_brandonSFTP” looks to be hosting a public webpage. There are cache folders that are within odrive’s scope that are constantly changing remotely. odrive is monitoring this and processing all of the changes so that they can be reflected locally. This looks to be causing a lot of churn and the cache structure is very extensive.

If I hit unsink on the cached parts, would that help?
As for the other stuff, it is probably NPM (node_modules) folders that it is seeing. The stuff doesn’t change that often in most of the folders, I only work on one project at a time and there is no changing of remote files.

I don’t want to disconnect my folders, but I do want to maybe tell Odrive not to scan a folder unless I am in it.
I know for sure that I am not using most of those folders at this moment, but I could want them at any time to read.
What would you suggest?

Hi @brandonkeithbiggs,
Yes, unsyncing a folder will remove it from active monitoring. You can always expand it later, when you need to.

I always recommend closing off less-used sections, if possible, to reduce the scope of work odrive has to do.

How can I see what Odrive is doing that is taking so much CPU? When I hit enter on the Odrive menu, all I see is “ready to sink new changes”, nothing else. It makes me think Odrive isn’t doing anything when it obviously is. Is there a way where I can look at the diagnostics report?
Thanks,

Hi @brandonkeithbiggs,
There isn’t really a way to see the background work that odrive is doing. It is always trying to keep things in sync, so it has to perform remote and local scanning/checking periodically. This won’t register on the UI because it is supposed to be in the background and unnoticed and many times it will result in no changes at all (just a check).

When the surface area is large, or there are a lot of changes that need to be resolved, these background tasks can get quite heavy, consuming CPU. This is something that will be improved in the next major release.

My poor Surface pro shut down twice because it got too hot running Chrome, Firefox, MS Word and Odrive.
Can I sign up for a beta of this new release?
I went ahead and unsinked the cached folder. I would really rather not unsink the programming folder, because I want to have it all there. If it is still hot after this, than I will look at unsinking some tutorial folders.
Thanks!

Thanks @brandonkeithbiggs. We will be releasing the new version as soon as we are able and I will mark you down for beta if we end up releasing one.