ODrive Sync Scheduling. Off Completely During Unscheduled Hours

Greetings,

I’m very impressed with odrive. So much so I gave up Carbonite after like 7 years in favor of odrive Pro/Amazon Unlimited.

That said, there’s one feature I desperately need: Sync scheduling.

Throttling is great but it doesn’t go far enough. I’m talking during off-hours odrive is completely idle. That means:

• No internet usage (obviously)
  • No scanning my synced folders for changes (I’m syncing millions of files and this does have an impact on PC performance)
  • No encrypting files

This is one thing that Carbonite has that I really, really appreciate and is sorely lacking in odrive.

Great job! I hope you’ll implement this and make it the perfect solution for me!

Jeff

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion.

It would be possible to simulate this with an automated task to shutdown odrive and start it again when you wanted. Not as elegant as a built-in feature, but it may work for your purposes. I can elaborate if there is interest.

1 Like

I would like this too @Tony! Some times i’m syncing a lot of files and odrive does have an impact on my Mac performance and my internet gets slow even with bandwidth throttling. Make this for us!! :grinning:

Hello again,

Now that I’ve upload 800 GB to my Amazon Cloud account (thank you odrive!), I’m ready to slow things down.

I’ve created a Task Scheduler task that should do what I’m asking. I wanted to run it by you, Tony, to make sure this will work.

I have the task set to run at 11 PM and kill the odrive.exe 8 hours later.

Questions:

• Do I need to worry about data loss or corruption if I just kill the task during the middle of an upload and/or encryption?
  • I noticed there are two .exes, odrive.exe and odriveapp.exe. When I shut down odrive gracefully, through the system tray icon, odriveapp finishes what it’s doing and shuts down by itself. Will the same happen if odrive.exe is forcibly killed?
  • Are there any command line arguments I need to pass to odrive.exe?

Thanks,
Jeff

1 Like

Hi @jeff.lawlor,
If you want to programmatically shutdown odrive, I would suggest using the CLI to do so. With the CLI you can issue the “shutdown” command, which will shut things down gracefully. Just let me know if you have any questions about this.

1 Like

Thanks.

In Windows, that says to me that I’m running 2 Scheduled Tasks.

First Scheduled Task: Run c:\Program Files\odrive.exe without any parameters at a triggered time. In my case, run odrive at 11 PM. Don’t “stop the task”, no matter how long it runs.

Second Scheduled Task: Shut down the exe started in the previous task:

Download the python, CLI interface of odrive. The .exe in the .zip file is, confusingly, called odrive.exe. This is not the same odrive.exe that you see running in Task Manager. Instead, this is a python-strapped command line interface (CLI) version also called odrive.exe. I saved it as “odriveCLI.exe” in “c:\program files\odrive” to avoid confusion.

Create a Windows Scheduled Task to shutdown odrive.

The “Action” tab should have c:\Program Files\odriveCLI.exe" as the “Program/Script/” The “Add Arguments” field should say “shutdown.”

The Trigger tab should set a time to shutdown odrive. In my case, 7 AM.

Suggestion: Make odriveCLI.exe part of the Windows download/install package. It’s 13 additional megabytes, sure. But it will help adoption and keep the CLI local and uniquely named.

2 Likes

This worked perfectly!!! Thanks so much! We have several TB going into Google Storage Cloud (per this article: http://blog.odrive.com/blog/2016/4/29/is-your-cloud-storage-slow-as-shit) and it puts a huge load on our server during the initial sync/backup.

2 Likes

Hi. We are considering Odrive.
To clarify one issue.
Will The above proceure to sync via schedular work while logged off server?
Or do a user need to stay logged on for this to work

Best regards!

Hi @post1,
I actually haven’t tried running odrive as a service like that.

odrive needs a profile to install to since it has a local persistence layer that keeps the configs and sync information, so you would need to run it as a user that has a profile and has access to their user registry settings.