Odrive sync agent doesn't start on MacOS

Hi!

I’m installing odrive on my macbook where it was previously not installed. I decided to skip the desktop install and go directly to the odrive-agent and CLI (mostly because I got this working flawlessly on my linux box this weekend so thought it would be equally seamless).

When I try to start the odrive agent though I get many messages similar to this:

File “/Users/admin/hudson/workspace/Odrive_Mac_Agent/deploy/sandbox/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/loader/pyi_importers.py”, line 270, in load_module

Makes me think that the macos install has references to “hudson’s” dev envronment. Any thoughts on fixing that.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi @coach,
Let me check on this and get back to you.

Hi @coach,
This is fixed. A new version has been uploaded (v875). Just let me know when you have a chance to try it.

Hi Tony,

Thanks! That works perfectly.

In the mean time I also installed the Desktop client. And as far as I can tell the CLI will use the running desktop client too.

I was avoiding the desktop client today, because when I first startd using odrive at the beginning of the year I thought it was a big tricky to install the desktop client on my mac mini. Well that machine is always problematic, and I was just feeling my way around then. When I bit the bullet and installed the desktop client on my MacBook it worked like a charm. Easy as pie.

Is there any advantage to using the odrive-agent over the desktop client now that i have both running? I can’t think of one really.

Cheers,
Steve

1 Like

Hi @coach,
Thanks for the update!

There isn’t a reason to have both the agent and the desktop client running (in fact you don’t want to do this since they keep separate records). As you have discovered, even if you want to use the CLI, you can use it against the desktop client.

Yes. I was afraid running them both simultanesouly cause problems.

Now that i have both installed, and both run, is there any advantage to only running the odrive-egent over Odrive desktop? I can’t think of any myself but you know what was intended.

Cheers!
Steve

Hi @coach,
Both the agent and the desktop use the same engine, so there isn’t any advantage to running just the agent since the desktop offers additional features like badging, context menus in Finder, and a UI for feedback.