Odrive seems to have stopped working

The symptoms are:

When I right-click a folder or a file I no longer see the sync options.
The odrive icon on the task bar seems to spin a lot and my computer is VERY slow unless I exit odrive.

I am running Windows 10 on a Thinkpad laptop.
I am scared because I have been relying on odrive for quite a while and now I’m not sure what is in the cloud or not… I can’t afford to lose anything.
I’m also afraid to touch anything for fear of losing everything…

HELP!

Hi @shelleyfest,
It sounds like odrive may be busy performing some actions. When this happens the right-click menus can be too slow to respond properly.

What do you see when you look at the odrive menu (click on the odrive icon on the task bar)? Can you send a diagnostic from that menu so I can take a closer look?

The right-click menus aren’t slow, they aren’t there at all.

I just sent diagnostics, I think…

Thanks for responding so quickly.

-John

Ok… what did you just do? (LOL)

I’ve had this issue for days, and all of a sudden the right-click options just showed up again! ??

-John

Could it be that just sending the diagnostics gave it a kick in the ass… did the software get scared it was getting reported to the principal? This is crazy.

So I just initialized a FULL sync just to make sure i have everything.

Hmmm.

Spoke too soon. Now the right-click menus are gone again. They seem to have a mind of their own. Also the icons that show the state of a folder come and go on their own as well.

Hi @shelleyfest,
I’m taking a look at the diagnostics. I can see you have a lot of data for odrive to regularly go through.

odrive overhead is proportional to the amount of data odrive has to regularly scan and track. When there is a lot of data you can get some significant overhead when large operations (like a full background scan or a full sync) are being performed. When this is going on, odrive can be slow to respond to right-click actions and badging, which can cause them to function erratically, or not show up, as you are seeing.

The impact of this overhead is going to depend on several things, but the most important are:

• The amount of data in odrive’s view (number of files and folders that odrive has to keep track of on the local and remote sides)
  • The speed of the system
  • The concurrent operations taking place (background and foreground syncing, scanning, listing, etc…)

The most significant way to mitigate the overhead is to reduce the scope of data that odrive has to track by unsyncing folders that you don’t need immediate or regular access to. This collapses the structure and odrive can ignore those areas until you sync them again.

Additionally, there is a version that will be coming out soon that will allow you to toggle background scanning on or off. This will be very helpful for situations like these where the datasets are large and you want to prevent odrive from scanning through all of that data when you are actively working on things. The detriment to disabling is that you will not see remote changes unless you navigate into the folders (they won’t be processed in the background) until you reenable background scanning. This won’t effect local changes or manual operations, so you can still sync down content, on-demand, and any local changes will be synced up to the cloud immediately.