Odrive not working on fresh Windows 10 Install

Hi there,

I´ve downloaded and isntalled odrivesync.6239 on latest Windows 10 64bits. My problem is that the odrive folder (with the .cloudf files) was not created and after the install I cannot run odrive.exe it gives me an error. The App is on PROGRAM FILES folder, but I cannot run it.

“Windows cannot access the specified device path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item”.

Searching for this problem on FORUMS I saw a post from staff asking a user that was having the same problem to run this command, and post the output.

powershell -command “&{$bin=$(ls “$HOME.odrive\bin” | sort Name -desc | select -f 1).FullName; Start-Process “$($bin)\odriveapp.exe” -WindowStyle Hidden;}”

Here follows the output, translated to english, because system is in portuguese.

($ Bin / $ bin) $ odds / bin / $ bin $ $ ls \ "$ HOME \ .odrive \ bin " | Name -desc | select -f 1) .FullName; Start-Process \ "$ ($ bin) \ odriveapp. Exe \ "-WindowStyle Hidden;}"
Ls: Can not find the path ‘C: \ Users \ XXX \ .odrive \ bin’ because it does not exist.
In the line: 1 character: 10

• & {$ Bin = $ (ls “$ HOME \ .odrive \ bin” | sort Name -desc | select -f 1) .Full …
  •   + CategoryInfo: ObjectNotFound: (C: \ Users \ XXX \ .odrive \ bin: String) [Get-ChildItem], ItemNotFoundE
     Xception
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId: PathNotFound, Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand

Start-Process: This command can not be run due to error: The system can not find the file
Specified.
In the line: 1 character: 76

• …) .FullName; Start-Process “$ ($ bin) \ odriveapp.exe” -WindowStyle Hidden …
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
    • CategoryInfo: InvalidOperation: (:slight_smile: [Start-Process], InvalidOperationException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId: InvalidOperationException, Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartProcessCommand

I already tried to repair the install, it didnt work. To remove odrive, reboot and download and install it again, but it did not work.

Any suggestions?

Hi @tiagomello,
Can you try running this command, instead?

Open up a command prompt by clicking on the Windows icon in the taskbar, typing “cmd”, and then clicking on “Command Prompt”.

Once the command prompt is open, copy and paste the following command in (all one line) and hit enter.

powershell -command "&{& \"$env:programfiles\odrive\odrive.exe\" \"-v\" 2>&1 | echo;}"

Thx, for the quick reply.

This is the output.
Failed to execute ‘odrive.exe’ program: Access is denied On the line: 1 character: 3

• & {& “$ Env: programfiles \ odrive \ odrive.exe” “-v” 2> & 1 | Echo;}

In the line: 1 character: 3

• & {& “$ Env: programfiles \ odrive \ odrive.exe” “-v” 2> & 1 | Echo;}
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    • CategoryInfo: ResourceUnavailable: (:slight_smile: [], ApplicationFailedException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId: NativeCommandFailed

Hi @tiagomello,
When you go to Program Files\odrive\ and double-click on odrive.exe, does it gives the "“Windows cannot access the specified device path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item” message?

If so, it sounds like your user doesn’t have access to run the program, for some reason.

Is this your own computer, or a business computer?

Its my own computer, and I have administrator rights

Hi @tiagomello,
Do any of these suggestion change the behavior? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2669244/-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device,-path,-or-file-error-when-you-try-to-install,-update-or-start-a-program-or-file

Do you have any anti-virus or other endpoint protection software running? If so, can you please temporarily uninstall them to make sure they are not interfering?

Tony,

Thank you!!! The problem was the Windows Defender, that for some reason blocks odrive to execute. It would be nice to report it, other users might have the same problem with Windows Defender enabled.

Regards,
Tiago

Great! Thanks for the update @tiagomello.

It is definitely odd that Windows Defender would be blocking odrive. I will have to see if this is something we can reproduce, somehow. All of my machines are running it and it has not interfered, so far.