Odrive location, admin, size, unsync

Hi,
I am currently testing odrive as an alternative to OneDrive, AmazonDrive and Boxcryptor.

1. I had to run odrive on a virtual machine as admin, for some reason odrive insisted on installing the odrive folder under the admin user. I follow best practices, so I never work as an admin user. I hope this is just me, who didn’t find the magic setting, that allows me to use odrive as a normal user.
  2. odrive reports the size of the actual harddrive, on which the odrive folder is located, why? Other utilities I have tested report the available size of the cloud provider or e.g. 100TB for Amazon Cloud Drive. For me this is a nuisance, but not a deal breaker, since I have other tools that will ignore the lack of capacity.
  3. However, this leads to the next issue, why do I have to manually unsync or why can I not set another threshold than 1 day? For my purpose (I need to copy 4TB, but on my virtual machine and desktop system I only have 200GB available, so I would have to copy almost 200GB wait for it to sync, then manually unsync). It would be great if odrive would automatically unsync, once you use above a certain storage threshold on the disk rather than base it on time.
    /Tom

And now I just learned that my favorite sync tool doesn’t like the odrive placeholders.
So unless I find another / better sync tool, then I guess odrive is a no go for me.
I’ll give the scripting option a quick go, but still, depending on the answer about the admin part, then…

Hi @thomas1,

odrive requires elevated privileges to install, but not to run. This is because there is something installed to %programfiles% and there are Explorer extensions installed (for icon overlays and right-click context menus) that need elevated privileges to be installed properly.

odrive is only a folder on the local hard drive instead of a virtual drive. It is really Explorer that is doing the reporting here, but I understand the request. There is a feature request for it here and it is something we plan to add in the future: Show space used / space free and total space

One day is the shortest duration of time, at the moment. As you stated you would need to sync in batched. For large bulk uploads, breaking up the data set is actually recommended. Throwing 4TB in at once for a bulk upload creates a lot of data for odrive to process at once and can be overwhelming, depending on the structure (number of files and folders).

If you have some proficiency for scripting, you can automate this, as you said.

With regards to the elevated privileges, then the installation is no problem, however, the “odrive” folder is created under “c:\users\admin\odrive” and not under the current user installing it. And when I move it, I can’t access it using the tray icon, and indeed, nothing gets synced to or from it, when it is located under “c:\users\normal_user\odrive”.

If I missed the relevant point in your documentation, then please point me in the right direction.

And, I did not double check this, but it seems to me that the tray icon runs as admin, not as normal_user, I hope I am wrong in that assessment.

On a side note, then your documentation would be more “read worthy” if it was separate for each operating systems, a fair amount of the screenshots and explanations are irrelevant, if you only use one OS.

Hi @thomas1,
I will look into this behavior. Can you tell me what steps were taken when installing the software?

If you exit odrive and restart, do you see the same thing, or is it now running as the logged-in user?

It was a default install, I did not change anything.
It should be noted that when I install, then I am a “normal” user, then UAC prompts for password and installation proceeds and finishes without errors.
The system is Windows 10, 64bit, fully updated.
I can’t remember if I did exit odrive and restart it, but I did reboot the system (after moving the folder), to see if that would change anything, but it didn’t.

Thanks @thomas1,
Can you show me a screenshot of the Task Manager in the “Details” tab, like this:

I can’t reproduce the issue you are seeing, so I want to make sure I understand, fully, what you are seeing.