Odrive is re-uploading and duplicating files after a local folder restructuring

I had a need to move some folders around on my Mac. The folders that I moved were synched via odrive to my OneDrive cloud.

Having moved the folders, I am seeing that odrive is re-uploading the full content of the folders that I moved. In so doing, it is also duplicating the storage in the cloud. i.e. /Videos/FolderA/FileA was in the cloud as /Videos/FolderA/FileA. I moved FolderA into a Misc folder, so that the local directory is now /Videos/Misc/FolderA. FileA and all other files (many GBs worth) are being re-uploaded to the cloud, and the original files remain in their original location.

I expect odrive to be clever enough to recognize a local folder restructuring and NOT do a re-upload. This is a simple and common task. Is there some other approach within odrive I should be considering?

Worthy of note: The folder structure I changed is on external storage, and I am using odrive Premium.

Please advise.

Thanks,
–Vern.

Hi @vbolinius,
Generally odrive will be able to detect moves and perform an optimized sequence of actions without re-uploading anything. However, there are times when the move can be missed, depending on what else is happening, the nature of the move or sequence of moves, the local location/setup, and the remote storage is being used.

The reason you are seeing duplicates now in the cloud is because odrive seemed to have missed the move optimization and is performing an add + delete. Since there are deletes, they are going to be held in the odrive trash until you empty it.

Can you tell me where the local folder is located (full path) and what the remove storage is?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply. The “local” folder is on a NAS and is located at /hostname-of-nas-device/shared/videos. I re-arranged some folders within the “videos” folder and this sparked the re-copying.

Hi @vbolinius,
Moves on networked drives have the highest chance of missing the optimization because they will not trigger any OS filesystem events that odrive can pick and react to, like local drives.

You didn’t mention what storage you are syncing to, but that can also affect this, as well.