Odrive crashing OSX on finder extension

big, big, big, big problems, folks.

I’ve been struggling with this for a week, lost a week of productivity.

symptom was start machine, is okay for a bit during it’s start up process then BAM 1 of two things happend
1 either finder died and couldn’t be restarted
2 or entire system crashed, screen went black and froze.

the first time it happened it destroyed the ssd drive: it couldn’t be mounted and I had to spend the last week fixing it. frankly, I’m still in the middle of fixing it.

using el capitan, latest release.

This is REALLY BAD. I thought it was my SSD, I was running down blind alleys, I blamed parallels, I blamed Samsung.

But it was you. You destroyed my SSD drive. You destroyed the work of a month, maybe two, of installation and configuration. Just gone. Yeah, I am cloud backed but not image backed. So while I lost no data (well, some in Documents by accident) I lost every bit of install and configure of a massive Visual Studio Parallels REMObjects Android Studio Xamarin installation. It will take me days to get that up again.

Please stop doing that.

This was bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

M

Hi Michael,
I am sorry to hear about the problems you experienced.

This is the first we’ve heard of this type of issue with our Finder extension. Apple has strict constraints in place on how a Finder extension can be used (using their framework), and what it can affect. Can you tell me how you determined the cause? What were the indications that odrive was at fault?

A system crash generally indicates a problem that was triggered at the kernel level, which we aren’t touching. It can also indicate that a general hardware problem. To have the entire hard drive be destroyed seems to me to point to a larger issue than a software extension issue.