Many of My Folders Have Become Emptied

Hi @Odrive,

I was looking for an image file, and after several searches here and there, I came to realize that even many of my folders have become emptied and most, if not all of these emptied folders were last updated on 22/12/2019. And being a person who empty my trash very often most especially when I delete many unneeded files, I could only at the moment trace files back to 29/12/2019 in my Amazon Cloud Drive.

Ah! Could this mean that I had lost several of my valuable files FOREVER, Ah!? How did this even happen without being aware? Could this be from Amazon or something else?

Hi @awoobforknowledge,
Can you check the Amazon Cloud Drive trash to make sure you don’t have these files in there and they can be restored? https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/trash

If they were local files and they were deleted on the remote side, odrive will move them to your local operating system trash, so make sure to check the Trash/Recycle Bin, also.

Thanks @Tony.

How do I get to Trash/Recycle Bin? I couldn’t see any Recycle Bin. Furthermore, the oldest Folder/File in my Amazon trash was dated 29/12/2019.

Moreover, I recently reinstalled Odrive based on a suggestion here sometimes ago, and that made me have a folder with name odrivebackup-2019-12-21-2330. I tried to check some of those emptied folders therein and I noticed they were most last modified on 15/09/2019 and they are emptied therein also. This means that the emptiness had occurred even before 22/12/2019. Whats could have gone wrong without awareness? This is scary and something else has to be done.

Actually, I wouldn’t have been emptying my trash too often if not for the way Odrive used to bring up notification after notification about trashed files, most especially when one just restart Odrive or one’s system and one happens to have thousands of files in trash.

Hi @awoobforknowledge,
By Trash/Recycle Bin I meant the Windows or Mac native trash. I believe you use Windows, so this would be in the Windows Recycle Bin.

odrive makes every effort to prevent any loss of data, which is why it has the odrive trash as a safeguard against inadvertent local deletes. For remote deletes, it will always move the files to the Windows Recycle Bin, instead of just deleting them.

From what you described above, it sounds like these particular folders were modified many months ago. -

Is it possible that these files were:

• Moved to another location in odrive?
  • Moved out of odrive folder?
  • Accidentally deleted?

Unfortunately Amazon Drive only keeps items in their trash for 30 days before they automatically delete them (this is one of their policies I disagree with the most). This probably explains why the oldest item you have in the Amazon Trash is from 12/29.

If you had these files on multiple computers, it is worth checking the Windows Recycle Bin on those other machines. Even if these files were accidentally deleted on one machine, odrive would move the files to the Windows Recycle Bin on the other machine when it saw the remote delete.

If you find that the odrive trash notifications are distracting, or popping-up too often, you can actually disable them with an advanced option. This option is located in the odrive_user_general_conf.txt file in the root of your odrive folder. Open that file, change the "suppressTrashNotifications": false to "suppressTrashNotifications": true, save the file, and then restart odrive. You will no longer get those trash notifications when items are added to the odrive trash.

Additionally, if you find that you often have lots of items in the odrive trash that it is too difficult to review them from the odrive menu, you can generate a diagnostic report which will create a file named “current_odrive_status.txt” in the root of your odrive folder. This file will contain a full listing of all of the items that are currently in the odrive trash, so you can more easily review them.

Okay, I understand now that you were referring to the Windows Recycle Bin.

Yes, I understand what Odrive is trying to do with the trash issue, the problem is with me having too much files in trash then.

I think what you said below is the main problem of this whole issue:

Unfortunately, I don’t have them on multiple computers yet. I just start using multiple computers. I also don’t have them on external drive as I seems to backup my files to external drive on 21/12/2019 if I am not mistaken from what I saw from my external drive I just removed now.

Thanks a lot for some of the other tips you gave. As for generating diagnostic report, where do I find that?

Thanks.

Is there any plan of possibility to search from Odrive2?

Hi @awoobforknowledge,

You can find this option in the odrive menu at the bottom: “Send diagnostics”.

We don’t have any plans for a web-based search. The biggest hurdle for this is that we would have to centrally store information about your files, which is not something we want to do with this product. You can use Amazon’s web client to search your files on Amazon, however. Have you given that a shot to see if any of the missing files are somewhere else within Amazon?

Okay, I didn’t know that when “Send Diagnostics” is clicked, a file “current_odrive_status.txt” is created in the Odrive root folder.

Okay, I was thinking of possibility of searching using own system forgetting that it is displaying from the web. I asked of that since Odrive2 let you view your files easily and know what is it, most especially image files.

Amazon Cloud Drive search is totally poor in making exact search and/or searching by file types, it will just be showing unnecessary and sometimes unrelated results. I have given them feedback on this a couple of times. And their image viewing option which could have solved my problem easily don’t allow to search by keywords but just viewing by scrolling if I am not mistaken as I have tried to do that today already.

Hi @awoobforknowledge,
You mentioned images files, but I’m not sure if the files you are looking for are images. If they are, you might be able to search using the date (or some other relevant attribute), as indicated in this post here within the Amazon Photos web app (as opposed to the Amazon Drive app):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202094300