Local to remote syncing problems

Thinking about it a bit more … are you saying that each time something gets added to the cloud storage, I need to run a sync command from the local machine to ensure that I am in step locally?

I am trying to set this up so I can use ocloud as a replacement for Dropbox. What I can do with Dropbox (until it stops working!) is to create, modify or delete anything in or under the specified directory on any of the computers I have linked, and Dropbox ensures that next time I connect to the Internet on any other machine, that machine will be brought in step with the latest version of all files, without me needing to issue any commands. Can ocloud enable me to set up this functionality, or do I need to keep looking? The main functional difference, as I understood it, was that Dropbox supplied the cloud storage which everything synced with, and I have to supply the cloud storage for ocloud which is fine as I can use my Google Drive account for this.

If I need to run a command every time a file is updated anywhere to ensure the machines stay in sync, the danger is that I will forget and get in a terrible mess with version control.

Hi @bmff.engagement,

New files/folders will be shown as placeholders (.cloud/.cloudf files )on odrive until you decide to sync them. So, you will see that they exist, but if you want to interact with them locally you will need to tell odrive to sync them, at least once.

Existing files that have already been synced locally will be automatically updated to the newer version, if there is a remote change. This means you don’t need to do anything to get the latest version of a file you have already chosen to sync on that system.

Okay, it’s working as you describe in one machine. So I try to install on a second machine. If it matters, this one is running Lubuntu, just a version of Linux. I download the files successfully, can see them in the .odrive-agent/bin directory, file permissions are fine. But when I try to run the nohup command, copied from your web site, to start odrive I get a “No such file or directory” error. Even when I navigate to the bin directory and try to run the command directly in the terminal, even when I find the program using auto-completion, I still get the same error message. I guess the program is looking for something else, but I can’t work out what?

Sorry to be a pain!

Hi @bmff.engagement,
No worries! This sounds like an odd issue.

Can you take a screenshot of the attempt to run the command directly?
Can you also try this command and then see if anything is output to the specified log file?
./odriveagent 2>&1 >> /var/log/odriveagent.log

Okay, I ran down the problem using a Linux forum. The message essentially means (in this instance) that the program I’m trying to run is not an executable file. The files looked right, but the size of the odrive-agent file is not the same as on my other machine. I copied the files from one machine to the other, and it works. Not sure what happened there: as far as I could tell, I was following the instructions.

I now have a shell script to sync any new directories or files. A bit of a pain, but liveable with.

Many thanks for your help.

Great! Thanks for the follow-up @bmff.engagement.

Something must’ve happened with the agent download… very odd. Good sleuthing! I’m glad you got everything squared away now.