Local Amazon Drive ODrive folders are empty

I have installed ODrive on my Windows 10 machine, and linked it to my Amazon Drive account. Under my odrive folder, I now see Amazon Cloud Drive, and three subfolders, Pictures, Videos, and Documents (Which matches the file structure within my Amazon Drive account). So it definitely appears like odrive was able to login and access my Amazon Drive account.

However, the Videos and Pictures folders on my local machine are empty even though there are many files in those corresponding folders within Amazon Drive. In addition, I can see all of the files in the Videos and Pictures folders in Amazon Drive when I look in my odrive web account.

I’ve tried forcing a sync on the Videos and Pictures folders, but no luck. I’ve also tried shutting odrive down and restarting it. I don’t understand why I can’t see any of these files (not even placeholders)! Help!

Hi @solari18,

Sorry for the inconvenience, It is possible that the issue is illegal characters, which prevent them being shown in the File Browser https://www.odrive.com/usageguide#notallowed

Can you show us a screenshot of the odrive web client and odrive desktop folder where files are failing to show up in your desktop, side-by-side to visualize the difference you are seeing?

Thanks,
Asif

Sure thing. Here is a screenshot of what I’m seeing in odrive. I’ll upload a photo of the desktop folder later once I’m home.

Hi @solari18,

I believe colon : char in file names is causing the problem. In Windows : is illegal char, thus odrive app also disallow sync of such files to avoid any unwanted results.

Would you like to rename your files to legal name (permitted by Windows) and see if it resolve the mention issue?

Please see complete list of illegal and blacklist chars here:

Please see list of reserved characters in Windows:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks,
Asif

1 Like

I can give that a shot, but if that’s the case it means I would have to rename every file I’ve uploaded to Amazon, right? Which basically means I can’t use Amazon Drive to host these pictures (because I’m not going to rename every photo every time I’ve uploaded it to Drive). Hmmm. I’ll have to see if I can change that auto-naming behavior in Amazon.

Asif,

You were correct, changing the name worked. Do I have any options within odrive to change the filename or convert to Windows-accepted format during download, or am I stuck changing every filename manually?

Hi @solari18,

Unfortunately, we don’t support automatic rename of files during sync to remove illegal chars.

I’m afraid you may have to manually rename all of your files or you can use any 3rd party utilities available online to bulk rename files in your local disk and re-upload to Amazon Cloud Drive? For Example: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php

Note: Please make sure to backup your data somewhere else before using any 3rd party utility, if you choose to try it.

Thanks,
Asif