Linux agent/cli understanding

Hi there

I am looking high and low for a solid sync solution to use between all my devices …

Ubuntu Laptop, Android Phone, Windows Desktop (Work), unRaid Server, and then also all the Wife’s devices

I like odrive the most so far due to its support for various cloud providers, I simply am on the fence about its Linux support and future.

So I have a few questions that hopefully could help me take a plunge.

1. Is the Linux sync agent a fully automated sync after initial install/config? Can i config and forget about it if I do a full sync on an account root?

2. Is there any possible way of configuring a click action for .cloud files that would call the cli and tell it to sync that file quietly without any terminal windows opening?

3. What are odrives’ plans for the Linux user in the future? Lets have some frank and honest input so we can decide what to use.

4. Does anyone have or know how to configure the linux agent as a docker container on an unRaid server? I have only basic knowledge of docker but think this is the simplest way to make this happen.

Looking forward to some clearer insight.

Jens

I have just spent most of the morning playing with the agent and cli and my findings leave me disappointed.

It seems there is no automatic or recursive sync and I need to sync/refresh every file/directory manually in terminal, this simply wont work for multiple accounts with constant updates all day every day.

I really hope odrive plans to introduce a full featured sync client for Linux just like for Windows but with delays I have seen in the forums so far don’t give me much hope.

Its a real pity as odrive seems to be THE premier sync system out there and functions well on oSX and Windows with so many cloud connections, it has just left the entire Linux community hanging and in the dust, while most of the entire functionality would not even exist if it were not for Linux, rather sad.

Hi Jens, I am not sure I fully understand your requirements but I use oDrive on my Ubuntu server to create local copies of all my cloud drives for backup purposes. As far as I can see the sync runs both ways. Nevertheless, part of my backup script is a short script which will automatically sync all .cloud and .cloudf files to make sure I am not backing up thin air. You could run this multiple times a day if you want the files to always be physically available.

As far as the click action is concerned, I linked .cloud and .cloudf to another script which will download the file whenever you click on it. Same way as in Windows.
Works for me at least. I am using KDE Neon but would assume you can change file type association in other Linux DEs as well?

Thomas

Hi Jens,

You can find more detailed information on the CLI capability here which addresses many of your questions: https://medium.odrive.com/sync-client-magic-602d858731de

Hi @anon76823793,
If it helps, I added a recursive sync function to a fork I made of the odrive CLI here: https://github.com/amagliul/odrive-utilities

Hi @Tony @ericodrive @thomas_zell

Thanks for all the input, I will need to work through it all and see what I can come up with.

While I totally get and appreciate the CLI script-ability concept, the reality is that we all have so much to do already, we really just want our cloud storage to do its thing without having to roll our own. It is great to be able to do so if we want, but having it be the only option isn’t great.

The windows client for oDrive is amazing. I love the Facebook and Gmail attachment accounts. So why is this awesome tool not also given to the Linux users who want to use Linux but don’t have the time and space to also build their own here.

Please also remember the WAF in all of this.

For clarity …

1. I use windows at work, sadly for now still.
  2. I use Linux on my Laptop at home.
  3. I have an unRaid server at home as my NAS/media server.
  4. Android Phone.

Google Drive is aimed at being the common “link” (not backup) for all my documents/photos from several different spheres of life, work, personal, community. Each with separate Google Accounts and quite a lot of documents etc that I need access to.

Thanks for the feedback @anon76823793.

Our current linux client is more a power-user tool than the Windows and Mac, for sure, but we know there are the Desktop-centric Linux users who want that same experience that we provide on Windows and Mac and it is something we have an eye towards, for the future.