Intermittent unexpected errors when syncing

Hi,
Just sent them. It’s still happening.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi @micloza,
The errors I am seeing appear to be networking errors from Amazon Cloud Drive, or somewhere in the line between your system and their servers.

Are you seeing that you are able to sync the file/folder after a few tries?

Hi Tony,
I have tried restarting the app, the computer, login out and in again, but the problem persist. I don’t have issues downloading directly from Amazon Drive, only synching with Odrive.

Hi @micloza,
I moved this to another topic to track it better.

Can you confirm that the error is intermittent and random? From the previous diagnostic it looked like files were eventually able to sync.

How often would you say this happens when you are syncing?

Did this issue just start happening and were things working well previously?

Can you send one more diagnostic after encountering this issue?

Hi Tony,
Sorry for the delay. The issue was still happening until now. Today I downloaded the sync client update and it’s not showing the error. I’ll let you know if it shows again.

Here are the answers to your questions:
Can you confirm that the error is intermittent and random? - Intermittent. Some files eventually sync, but most of the time it showed the error. Tried doing it again today and it hasn’t showed the error, but yesterday it did. I sent you the diagnostics again.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the folders I’ve been trying to sync since I posted the first message, it shows the ones that have synced.

How often would you say this happens when you are syncing? - I use odrive two to five times a week and the error was showing everytime, until now.

Did this issue just start happening and were things working well previously? - Yes, it was working fine until it wasn’t.

Can you send one more diagnostic after encountering this issue? - Done.

Today I downloaded the Sync client update and it’s not showing the error. I’ll let you know if it shows again.

Hi again Tony,
It happened again just now, so discard the part where I said it’s not. Here’s the screenshot. I also sent new diagnostics. Hopefully it picked the error.

Error%20again
Thanks.

And again… now it keeps happening.

Hi @micloza,
I took a look and I am seeing errors with syncing to Amazon Drive. Here are the ones captured in the diagnostic:

Amazon Drive Error: 502 Bad Gateway

Amazon Drive Error: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond'

Amazon Drive Error: 500 Internal Server Error

Amazon Drive Error: SSLError([SSL: DECRYPTION_FAILED_OR_BAD_RECORD_MAC] decryption failed or bad record mac

The 500 and 502 errors are internal errors that Amazon Drive is encountering when processing the request. The 10060 and SSLError are lower-level networking errors.

This looks to be pointing at an Amazon Drive issue. Perhaps they have an issue with one of the nodes you are hitting.

You have Dropbox linked, but I don’t see any error for Dropbox. Do you see the same errors if you try to sync content in Dropbox, or is this limited to only Amazon Drive?

Hi Tony,
I don’t use Dropbox much. My main drive is Amazon. What are your suggestions to fix this error if you don’t see any problem from ODrive?

This problem wasn’t happening before and I can’t pin what changed. I also used to have Amazon Drive installed on my computer and it synced correctly.

Hi @micloza,
Unfortunately there isn’t really anything that can be done to fix this for the issues on Amazon’s side. If you are syncing a lot of content down you can try using the CLI to automatically retry any files that receive an error. See this post for more details:

Ok, I understand, but I’m not happy with this response. If I bought the service to use it with Amazon Drive (only for the unsync feature), but can’t sync with your client, what’s the point? Amazon is syncing fine in my computer, the problem is when using Odrive.

I just spent $100 to get a $200 credit and will not be able to sync my files like needed. Totally dissapointed.

Hi @micloza,
The issues are definitely on Amazon’s side (which is not uncommon for Amazon Drive), so the only thing that can be done in this case is to retry the operation. The default odrive behavior is to not retry indefinitely, because it can cause a lot of problems if the service is having major issues, or there is an error that is persistent.

The CLI method above will retry indefinitely, however. Which means it will continue to retry the items that error-out on a download attempt until they are successfully downloaded. This can be a good option if you have a lot of stuff to download and the service is acting up, but you will want to periodically check on it to make sure its not stuck cycling forever on a problem file. let me know if you would like more information on this.

If you come to a point where you do not think odrive is a viable option for your use case, message me directly and we’ll work something out.

I’ll try that. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m really considering cancelling the ODrive membership. This sync error is not only happening on the Odrive folder now, but also when downloading files on the beta client . The following error keeps appearing and it’s not letting me download the files:

I really gave it a try, but these errors are causing me to lose too much time looking for the photos on the folder and downloading them individually. It was good until it wasn’t.

If you think there’s something you guys can do, let me know. It’s very frustrating.

Hi @micloza,
For odrive2, can you grab the odrive2 logfiles from C:\Users[your user here]\AppData\Local\odrive2beta\log and attach them here?

For odrive1, can you send another diagnostic?

I want to verify that these are the same network and Amazon errors we were seeing before.

Did you ever try using the CLI? I still think that would be your best bet for these downloading issues.

Can you tell me a bit about your environment?

• What is your network speed/stability like?
  • Are you sharing the connection with anyone?
  • Is there any other network activity occurring at the same time (streaming video, gaming, stuff like that)?
  • Is your system wired or wireless? If wireless, how stable is that connection?

Hi,
My data is working fine since I installed a mesh network, thinking it might fix this problem.

I’ve lost too many hours trying to make this issue work, because it’s very important that it does, but none of the things tried have solved anything and you guys keep saying it’s Amazon Drive’s fault.

I ended up buying a raid 1 disk array and will download each client individually to keep working as I used to before odrive. Hope you understand, my work requires lots of sync / unsync and not one time it has worked as it should.

Best regards,

micloza

Hi @micloza,
Thanks for the follow-up. I am sorry to hear that you are still having issues with downloads.

For the errors I was seeing it definitely seemed to be either network related and an internal Amazon Drive error. In those cases the only recourse is to retry. I believe Amazon’s client will silently retry downloads in the background, which may be hiding these types of errors.

Since we have tens of thousands of Amazon Drive users on odrive, I don’t think this is an issue specific to odrive, but that doesn’t mean we can’t improve our behavior when hitting these types of errors. I have dug into our download processing to see what else could be done here.

The things I think could probably help in this case:

• A more aggressive retry strategy to automatically retry on intermittent network errors like these
  • Reducing downloads to one at a time, to mitigate the effect of these errors when downloading a set of files.

My suggestion of using the CLI to download would actually be able to mimic these two behaviors, right now, so I think it is still an option. I would be happy to assist with that, so let me know if you want to give that a shot to see if it could work for your purposes. Also, if we are able to make some enhancements to odrive to incorporate the ideas above, I will be sure to ping this thread to let you know.

Hi Tony
I haven’t given up (really need this to work). An automatic retry option would help a lot in reducing the time wasted going to the folder and having to press the Sync option again everytime ithappens, which in my case is every couple of minutes.

Let me know of you need any additional information.

Hi @micloza,
Here is a version that is currently going through QA:
Windows: https://www.odrive.com/s/9ac092d0-d170-48ab-9103-bdf8b4752d89-5c07282f
Mac: https://www.odrive.com/s/3c07f537-798c-4ca1-8d9b-40839415170b-5c06bfb1

It has added a transparent download retry feature that is currently set to 1 retry per file download attempt, for transient types of errors. I am hoping this will help with the issues you are seeing.

This setting can be changed to retry more times from a new config file that has been added to the root of the odrive folder. The file name is “odrive_user_general_conf.txt”. When you open that up you will see a "maxDownloadRetries": 1 line. You can increase this number to have odrive retry more than once on each file download attempt.

If you change this setting, save the file and then restart odrive for it to take effect.

Hi @Tony,
Downloaded and installed. Let’s see how it goes. Will provide feedback next week.

Thanks,
Mika

1 Like