Incremental sync to AmazonDrive using Odrive on Mac

Hey there,

I’m new to Odrive and can’t figure out how to do an incremental back of my Aperture photo library. I initially backed up my Aperture library to my AmazonDrive. Since then, I’ve added new photos to the Aperture library at home. As my library grows over time, I’m hoping to keep it sync’d with my Amazon drive. I’ve installed Odrive on my home computer but can’t figure out how to set the sync up. I’m using the free version right now.

Many thanks,

Ed

Hi @edward.einhorn,
It sounds like your primary use case is backup, rather than bi-directional sync. Is that correct?

If so, I would recommend you wait for our forthcoming backup feature, which will address this better than sync. Sync can be heavier than needed for backup, and our backup feature will cater to this use case, specifically.

Hi Tony,
My primary use would be incremental backups (I think that’s what it’s called) for my home photo library to my AmazonDrive. I don’t want to have to backup the entire library every time I add new photos to the home library. It’s a massive library, close 600GB and took forever to upload to my AmazonDrive. I thought Odrive could do this currently.

When would the new feature you’re talking about release?

Thanks!

Ed

Hi @edward.einhorn,
I expect backup to be available within the next 3 months. It will be able to support your incremental backup use case.

Currently odrive can perform a bi-directional sync against your data, but it is a heavy process. Also, since it is two-way, changes on the cloud, including deletes, will be synced to your local structure. This is something you generally to not want in a pure backup scenario. There are folks who use sync in this way, but our recommendation is to wait for the pure backup solution.

Thanks!