Help settin up, ultimate aim is to download all my data from amazon cloud drive

i am using mx linux, i followed the linux CLI instructions but found them a little light on detail or examples so I could not get the amazon drive contents to download/sync to a local folder

can anyone provide a more detailed setup guide

Hi @petermackessy,
Can you tell me what you have setup so far on your system and what you see? I can walk you through the rest.

Here is the relevant documentation for Linux:
Install - https://docs.odrive.com/docs/odrive-sync-agent#install-on-linux
Running the app - https://docs.odrive.com/docs/odrive-sync-agent#run-on-linux
Usage - https://docs.odrive.com/docs/odrive-sync-agent#using-the-cliagent-all-platforms

For syncing Amazon Drive, the basics steps would be:

• Install and run the agent
  • Login to the agent using the authenticate command
  • Create a local mount to odrive using the mount command. ex: odrive mount "$HOME/odrive-agent-mount" /
  • Sync the data you want locally using the sync command:
    • cd "$HOME/odrive-agent-mount"
    • odrive sync "Amazon Cloud Drive.cloudf" (This will expand the Amazon Drive folder and list the contents inside)
    • From there you can drill further into the folders you want to browse and then sync the files you wish to sync (ex: odrive sync MyFile.cloud). You can also use the --recursive flag to download entire folders. Using the --nodownload flag with --recursive will expand all of the folders, but leave the files as placeholders.

I’ll see what we can do about improving the documentation, as well.

im using mx linux 19.2. I have got as far as user authentication which seemed to work but then mounting and sycning i couldnt figure out.

also not sure if i should have but i change the $HOME to "home/myuserename/.odrive-agent etc

i have about 70gb of data on amazon, my plan is to download it all , catalogue it properly, re upload and use odrive to manage. will it download every file, including the big ones, there are ore or two large files in there

Hi @petermackessy,
You should be able to do the following ($HOME is just a variable that represents your home folder. You can also use ~ or it sounds like /home on mx linux):

• Create a folder that you can mount odrive to (mkdir /home/odrive-agent-mount)
  • Mount odrive to that folder (odrive mount /home/odrive-agent-mount /)
  • Sync your Amazon Drive folder (odrive sync /home/odrive-agent-mount/Amazon Cloud Drive.cloudf --recursive)

ok so it all went fine until the part for mounting a folder, i created a folder within my downloads folder called odrive and mounted it.
i cd’d to that drive and tried the above command

• Sync your Amazon Drive folder ( odrive sync /home/odrive-agent-mount/Amazon Cloud Drive.cloudf --recursive )

it didnt work and now when i go back into the .odrive-agent folder within the home directory, the bin folder is gone?

Hi @petermackessy,
The commands I wrote down are only examples, so you will need to change them if you used different folders.

I’m not sure about the bin folder being gone. That is not something that would happen issuing any of the odrive commands.

Can take a screenshot of your terminal so I can understand where you have things, exactly, and what commands you are trying?

Create a folder that you can mount odrive
i made home/USER/Downloads/odrive

Mount this using
“/home/USER/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive” mount “home/USER/Downloads/odrive” /
this worked properly

i tried to sync using
“/home/USER/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive” sync “home/USER/Downloads/odrive” /
this didnt work. it gives
bash: /home/USER/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive: No such file or directory

( i did change the USER to the correct name.

I went back and looking in the /home/USER/.odrive-agent/ where there used to be a bin folder with the odrive executable, this bin folder is gone…

“home/USER/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive” status gives the attached image

Hi @petermackessy,
For the status screenshot, are you still able to run the status command? I wouldn’t think this would work anymore if the bin directory is no longer there. If the status command still works then you should be okay. If not, you will need to reinstall the odrive agent the same way you did before. Your configuration should still be okay after that.

Once you can run the status command again, here are the commands you will want to run:

• cd home/USER/Downloads/odrive (This will put you into the odrive folder you mounted to)
  • ls -l (This will show you what is in your odrive. I assume there is an “Amazon Drive.cloudf” file in there.
  • home/USER/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive sync "Amazon Drive.cloudf" --recursive (This will sync your Amazon Drive folder)

so i re-installed as per instructions before, re-authenticated and it worked!!
thank you so much
i have run that command with the --recursive at the end
does that mean it will download absolutely everything now?
is there a log file to show any errors or download issues/missed/skipped files?
thanks again

Hi @petermackessy,
The next version coming out will have details logging, but the current version’s logging is very sparse. It is fairly easy to know when syncing is completely done, however, because there will not be any .cloud or .cloudf files.

There is a more advanced method for recursive syncing that can also speed up the process. This one-liner will spawn three different sync threads, which can improve the speed. You would just need to stop the current recursive sync (ctrl+c) and then copy and paste the line below into the terminal and hit enter/return:

exec 6>&1;num_procs=3;output="go"; while [ "$output" ]; do output=$(find "/home/USER/Downloads/odrive/Amazon Drive/" -name "*.cloud*" -print0 | xargs -0 -n 1 -P $num_procs "$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive" sync | tee /dev/fd/6); done