Flattened file structure on amazon drive after their issue yesterday

My back up folder is now completely corrupted, I used have many folder which are all gone locally the files appear to be on amazon drive but the folder structure appears to be fattened. probably close to 100gigs of data in a complete mess.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi @ezraanderson1979,
This sounds like it was due to the Amazon Drive issue yesterday: Sudden Disappearance of all Amazon Drive Files - 2017 - 01 - 23 - * RESOLVED *

For my own experience, when the files re-appeared the structure seemed to be correct, but we have seen issues with Amazon’s structure as per this thread here: Mysterious unknown files/folders under root Amazon Drive folder

The structure that odrive is showing is also what is showing in Amazon’s own web client?

odrive will display whatever Amazon Drive tells it is the structure. This is actually what happened yesterday when Amazon Drive reported that there were no files or folders in the drive anymore.

It may be that when your files and folders ‘returned’, that Amazon Drive ‘lost’ some of the organization?

1 Like

Do you think it is safe to update to 6284 as the current 6252 appears to be halted and not restoring anything, also as I am unfamiliar with amazon is there away to down load all the data, as I am concerned that syncing might make things worse.

Hi @ezraanderson1979,
The update from 6284 to 6252 only includes a fix for WebDAV sources, so I don’t think you need to worry about upgrading.

Can you tell me what actions you took so far and can you send a diagnostic from the odrive menu?

A post was merged into an existing topic: All Amazon Drive files have suddenly been unsynced

my only action was asking for help here, as I did not want to make things worse :slight_smile:

as requested I sent a report.

here is a picture of the root drive, before there was about 10 folders.

Hi @ezraanderson1979,
You will need to figure out how you want to proceed from here.

odrive won’t be able to restore the previous structure on its own, but we can try to figure out just what we are looking at here.

Let’s start from the Amazon Drive web client. Go there, login, and let’s poke around:

Previously when we’ve seen these files appear in the root, it appeared that the files/folders were actually previously deleted items. Is it possible that this is the case here? Do the items listed look familiar and could they be items you’ve deleted previously?

Do you see the original 10 folders you had before? Are they still there and do they seem intact or are they missing items?

If you search for an file you see in the root (search for the file name), do multiple items show up in the search results?

You will need to figure out how you want to proceed from here.

odrive won’t be able to restore the previous structure on its own, but we can try to figure out just what we are looking at here.

no problem, as this was a secondary backup for testing purposes - and amazon failed gloriously, I will not be using there services again for cloud storage. I will be going back to dropbox.

Previously when we’ve seen these files appear in the root, it appeared that the files/folders were actually previously deleted items. Is it possible that this is the case here? Do the items listed look familiar and could they be items you’ve deleted previously?

I am not sure if they were previously deleted items, it is possible. I will let you know later.

Do you see the original 10 folders you had before? Are they still there and do they seem intact or are they missing items?

All that data appears to be online, just disorganized. I will just fail back to external hard-drive backup then download everything off amazon then when I have time I will write some utility to merge the two data-sets.

The reasons I chose odrive was because the synch tool from amazon failed contentiously so in my opinion amazon has a lot of work to do for the cloud storage.

anyways not too concerned as all my important data is stored in multi locations, I do appreciate the help. And I certainly feel bad for non computer savvy people who trusted their data to amazon. yikes

haha, just tried the amazon drive tool, and it will not even connect to allow me to download the files, just sits and spins… I will let everything sit for a few day then try again, as I currently do not have time for this headache.

Thanks for the feedback @ezraanderson1979. I’m glad to hear you’ve got a second set of data so you don’t have to deal with the flattened structure, at least right away.

We’ll have to see how this shakes out for all of the unfortunate Amazon Drive users that were hit by this…

Man my amazon drive is f’d up. I have over hundreds of thousands of files. I haven’t checked my drive in a long time and I discovered all my files are in a flat file structure. All the folders are empty. I’m trying to download everything off Amazon Drive and cancel it. This is BS. This is going to take months of work maybe years… At least I can apply the KonMari method for each file.