Files with special characters on onedrive (MS)

Hi @steve4,
odrive will try to download them, if it can. Is OD4B rejecting the download request? If these files are listed in “not allowed” can you click on them and see what it says? Also, Can you send a diagnostic from the odrive menu?

@Tony

I don’t know the nuances of how downloads from OD4B work. That said, it doesn’t make sense that OD4B could hold a file and tell you about it but not let you download it.

I just sent diags – they’ll probably come in as cynko

Thanks,

Steve

Hi @steve4,
Just to clarify, these are files you are downloading and not uploading? OneDrive for Business is more restrictive on characters, and do not allow filenames with any of these characters:
~ " # % & * : < > ? / \ { | }.

For the files listed, do you see them from the OneDrive for Business web client? If so, care you able to download them from there? I am trying to reproduce your issue, but OneDrive won’t let me add or rename any files to these characters, even from their own web client.

I used multcloud to load the data from Amazon Cloud Drive. Apparently it made things happen that break the rules.

In your travels which service have you found to offer the most flexibility about special characters in file names?

Also, is iCloud on the radar to add to odrive?

Thanks,

Hi @steve4,
OneDrive for Business is actually the most restrictive. With other services like Google Drive, Amazon Drive, or even consumer OneDrive, you are more likely to hit illegal character issues on the filesystem, rather than the service.

For iCloud, they don’t have a full, filesystem-compatible API yet, but we would like to integrate to them at some point.

Are there any news of when Onedrive for Business will fix the issue with non-ASCII characters or Umlauts already?

Hi @bastigruenwald,
They reported that they were trying to fast-track a change for this, but there hasn’t been any news since then (about 3 days ago).

Hi @bastigruenwald,
The OneDrive team pushed this change in and my tests show that the issue has been resolved. Can you verify?

I would suggest to try “Long Path Tool” program.

What doest it do? Where to get it?

Can confirm the Onedrive for Business now uploads and saves my files with special characters again!

1 Like