Files are copying themselves back onto my local hard drive (iMac)

Hi

Running premium odrive and Amazon Unlimted Cloud Storage.

Files are copying themselves back onto my local hard drive (iMac)

What i have done is created a folder on my odrive (test folder) (Local HD)

Uploaded a few documents to the folder which showed up in Amazon no problem.

Right clicked and Un-Synced the folder.

The same folder and contents has copied to my local hard drive. If i delete them from the HD then they also delete from the cloud. so im stuck with a extra back-up.

Please advise as to how i can remove files from my Hard Drive without losing them in the cloud

Thanks

Hi @smokersblend,
You can unsync any files/folders you do not want to take up space on your local disk, once they have been successfully uploaded. It sounds like you have already used this feature, so you are familiar with it, but you can read more about this here:

It sounds like you may have setup a “sync to odrive” folder to upload files from an existing local folder:

If you had previously setup folder sync rules on your default odrive folder (or its contents) then that could explain why you are seeing the files you are uploading being downloaded within the odrive folder.

Unsyncing that location in the odrive folder will convert things back to placeholders and free up that space.

Hi

Thanks for your reply

I am still getting files copied back to my drive as explained above.

Again this is what I have just done several times again with same result.

1. Added some test files to a folder inside o-drive

2. After upload i have right clicked and hit the “un-sync” option, folder corner know turns pink

3. Files are now also copied back to my local hard drive within the Amazon folder

4. I delete them from my local hard drive, now they also delete from the cloud.

In reply to your suggestions

“You can unsync any files/folders you do not want to take up space on your local disk”

Yes i did this as soon as the file was uploaded.

“It sounds like you may have setup a “sync to odrive” folder to upload files from an existing local folder:”

No, i have not done this. No folders are set to sync.

“If you had previously setup folder sync rules on your default odrive folder (or its contents) then that could explain why you are seeing the files you are uploading being downloaded within the odrive folder. “

Again no i have not set this up.

I have not been been able to get past uploading 1 folder with 2 pictures as a test.

Please advise as at the moment this is un-useable as its adding second copies on my drive which is not workable

Thanks

Can you tell me what folder you are referring to here?

Are you using the Amazon Drive desktop client in addition to the odrive desktop client? If so, you would see this behavior with the Amazon Drive client, as it does not offer placeholder/unsync and will download anything you add to Amazon Drive.

I used the o-drive folder , set a a folder added 3 pics uploaded , un-synced

then the folder and files have re uploaded to a amazon folder on my drive

what im trying to do is upload files to my amazon storage without them coming back

I still don’t understand this part. It sounds like there are two locations where files are appearing?

1. The folder you are creating inside odrive
  2. Another “Amazon folder” in another location

Can you take a screenshot of the locations you are working in and seeing the files appear so I can better understand?

Yes there are 2 locations, the cloud and a folder on my local (iMac) hard drive

When i originally set up amazon cloud storage it also sets up a folder on my hard drive (user location) It mirrors what’s on the drive in the cloud. The same as dropbox.

The o-drive folder after un syncing is empty, but the files are still copied.

The point of me using o-drive is to upload files then “remove” them from my local hard drive to free up space and avoid this issue

Hi @smokersblend,
odrive cannot control the Amazon Drive app, so if you do not want that app downloading files you will either need to uninstall it, stop it from running, or configure it to not download.

Keep in mind that odrive is meant to be the only client you need, so you do not need to have the Amazon Drive client installed once you are using odrive.

If you want to upload files and then unsync to save space, you are going to want to use only the odrive client, and stop using the Amazon Drive client.

Does that make sense?