Files and folders deleted in odrive after system restore

Hello, what’s happening support team???

Im very disappointed.

I restored my windows to previous version about 3-4 days ago (how it was about 1-2 month ago)

And today I needed to access one of my file, when I tried to locate it - it’s gone.

Odrive deleted a lot of files and folder, I found some of them in trash but only 94 GB as disk C not having so much.

Im working with one big company and all project files are gone.

Do you remember that I already had a issues with odrive on that was deleting all of my files because of downgrading subscription, and now wats up?

Because of your misconfiguration I should to lose my job? and very important files?
Do you know that they cost me above 3000 pounds?

Hey @Tony @JeffL whats up?

thanks to Google Drive that I found them in the trash and restored all of them, but you are disappointing more and more.
I have a fear now to open odrive app - bullsh…

watch please this short video and you will see how much files was restored - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4A4WKOa2wGzQTVva21pR2UtdzQ

Hi @videoandesign,
I am sorry to hear you are having issues, but I’m very glad you have found the files in the Google trash.

Do you have auto-empty trash rules set to something other than “Never”. “Never” is always my recommended setting to prevent any inadvertent deletes.

This is the likely explanation for what happened. If you restored your system to a previous state, it would have restored a previous version of the odrive databases and configurations, which are now 1-2 months out of date. These would have differed drastically from what it was right before the system restore. Since odrive is a sync engine, it is going to try to reconcile the differences that your system now displayed vs what is on Google Drive. This would include local differences that odrive interpreted as intentionally moved or removed files and folders.

odrive treats the local system changes as “intentional user changes”, and it will try to sync those changes to the cloud. Likewise, things that have changed in the last 2 months on the remote would be synced down to your local system.

Since odrive is a fully bi-directional sync engine, it is important to keep in mind the ramifications of systems restores which can drastically change the way odrive interprets your data.

I will talk to the product team about putting in additional safeguards for detecting long periods of time between odrive scans, so it can be aware of abnormally large differences in sync views and possibly notify the user before taking any action.

1 Like

What’s next? to open odrive? or to uninstall and install again?

If I will install again, I have a lot of unsynced files and folder, and my worries is that they will be downloading again. To unsyc manually again it’s a big pain

Hi @videoandesign,
I would recommend uninstall and reinstall, if possible. This will make sure odrive doesn’t try to hold on to any of the old configurations and data and just looks at what is on the remote now, taking that as the authoritative source. You can be sure that odrive will represent what is in the cloud, only, and not interpret any local changes.

If you want to keep things unsynced then you should be good. Uninstall will clear any old configurations, so odrive will keep things as placeholders by default. Just make sure not to set any folder sync rules unless you need them: Sync Source Changes

1 Like

Hi @videoandesign,
I added some info to my post above, so take a look there when you get a chance.

1 Like